1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Question

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    I'm stuck half-way through a question where I need to find the integral (with respect to x) of:

tan(x/2).(cosec x + cot x)^2

I've tried every method of integration that I know and I can't get it. Is it actually possible to integrate the expression?

If it's any help, this problem is part of the further maths A-level and the original problem was:

Find the general solution of the differential equation dy/dx - 2y.cosec x = tan(x/2), 0<x<pi

I got to the integral I'm stuck on by using an integrating factor of (cosec x + cot x)^2, so that the LHS became the derivative of y(cosec x + cot x)^2 (and therefore y(cosec x + cot x)^2 = integral[tan(x/2).(cosec x + cot x)^2]dx ).

P.S. Sorry if the above isn't very clear, since I don't know how to get mathematical symbols on these boards.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

The value of that integral is 2ln(sin(x/2))+C

All you need to know is the right trig identity: [tex]\tan \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)+1}[/tex].
  4. Oct 30, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

The integating factor simplifies by using half-angle formulae.

sinx = 2sin(x/2).cos(x/2)
    cos(x) = 2cos²(x/2) - 1

btw, you can get maths symbols by using Latex
  5. Oct 30, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

Here's the integral

Use [tex]\tan\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)+1} [/tex] like this:
    [tex]\int\tan\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\left(\csc(x) + \cot(x)\right)^{2}dx = \int\left(\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)+1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{\sin(x)} + \frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}\right)^{2}dx[/tex]
    [tex]= \int\left(\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)+1}\right)\left(\frac{\cos(x)+1}{\sin(x)}\right)^{2}dx = \int\frac{\cos(x)+1}{\sin(x)}dx = \int\cot\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)dx[/tex]
    Let [tex]u=\frac{x}{2}\Rightarrow 2du=dx[/tex] to get
    [tex] 2\int\cot(u)du = 2\int\frac{\cos(u)}{\sin(u)}du[/tex]
    set [tex]w=\sin(u)\Rightarrow dw=\cos(u)du[/tex] which yeilds
    [tex]2\int\frac{dw}{w} = 2\ln(w) + C = 2\ln(\sin(u)) + C = 2\ln\left(\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right) + C[/tex]
    There, all done.:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  6. Nov 3, 2005 #5
    Thanks guys. You've been very helpful.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?