1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration questions

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm wondering if anyone can check these integrations for me, or suggest alternative answers if they're not quite right, or can be simplified?

1) [tex]\int x^{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

2) [tex]\int x . \sqrt{x}[/tex]

3) [tex]\int \frac{1}{x^\pi}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1) [tex]\int x^{1.4} = \frac{x^{2.4}}{2.4} + C [/tex]

2) [tex]\int x . x^{\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{x^2}{2} . \frac{x^{\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{3}{2}} = \frac{x^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} . x^2 + C [/tex]

3) [tex]\int \frac{1}{x^\pi} = \int x^{-\pi} = \frac{x^{-\pi+1}}{-\pi+1} + C [/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2
    The first and the third look okay to me, although in the first one I would leave the [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] rather than putting 2.4.

In the second your almost there. When doing this sort of integral it is often easier if you simplify the integrand. By combining [tex]x*\sqrt{x}[/tex] into [tex]\sqrt{x*x^2}[/tex] to get [tex]{x^{3/2}}[/tex] it should be easier to integrate.
  4. Oct 23, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is NOT equal to 1.4! There is no reason to change [itex]x^{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] to [itex]x^{1.4}[/itex].

An unfortunately common mistake: just as you cannot differentiate a product by just differentiating each part, you cannot integrate a product that way either. As Vuldoraq said, [itex]x\sqrt{x}= x(x^{1/2})= x^{3/2}[/itex]. Integrate that.

Yes, this is correct.
  5. Oct 23, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the replies Vuldoraq, HallsofIvy.

So, my answer should be [tex]\int x^{\frac{3}{2}} = \frac{2x^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} [/tex]
  6. Oct 23, 2008 #5
    You forgot to increase the exponent by one before dividing!
  7. Oct 23, 2008 #6
    Are you aware of the fact that you're leaving out the dx in the integrals?
  8. Oct 23, 2008 #7

Second attempt.

[tex] \int x^{\frac{3}{2}} = \frac{2x^{\frac{5}{2}}}{5} [/tex]
  9. Oct 23, 2008 #8
    Thats it, much better. :smile:

To repeat what HallsofIvy said: you can't integrate products of the function being integrated in the usual manner. So you have to simplify and when you can't simplify you have to use a different method (like integration by parts or substitution, you'll come accross these later on).

May your Math prosper
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?