How to Evaluate Integrals Using the Definite Integral Properties

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: If you have a function represented by an equation in which each variable is a sum of functions, then you can use the addition property of definite integrals to evaluate the function. For example, if you have f(x) = 5x^2+10x+15, then you can use the definite integral theorem to evaluate f(x) at any point in the range from −5 to +15.
courtrigrad
Hello all

Here are a few problems I encountered:

Find the area bounded by the parabola [tex] y = \frac{1}{2}x^2 + 1 [/tex] and the straight line [tex] y = 3 + x [/tex] Ok, so I first set the two equations equal to each other:

[tex] 3 + x = \frac{1}{2}x^2 + 1 [/tex] After solving for x, do I just use those two values for the upper and lower limits, and evaluate:

[tex] \int^b_a \frac{1}{2}x^2 + x - 2 [/tex]?

Also how would you evalutate the following integrals:

[tex] \int^b_a (x+1)^a dx [/tex]
[tex] \int^b_a sin \alpha x {} dx [/tex]
[tex] \int^b_a cos \alpha x {} dx [/tex]

For the first one would I use a geometric progression? I know that for [tex] \int^b_a x^a dx [/tex] you divide up the interval using the following points:
[tex] a, aq, aq^2, . . . , aq^n^-1, aq^n = b [/tex] So that means for [tex] a+1 [/tex] we have [tex] a+1, (a+1)q, (a+1)q^2, . . . (a+1)q^n-1, (a+1)q^n [/tex]?

For the other integrals, do I just make use of the identity [tex] 2\sin u sin v = \cos(u-v) - \cos(u+v) [/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1.Why did you set equal those 2 equations involving 2 parabolas??Shouln't have it been a parabola & a line??
2.The first integral is realized through an elementary substitution...Do you see it?
3.The second one is accomplished through a substitution as well.
4.The third one is similar to the second one... Meaning you need to do the same substitution...
Daniel.

yes but I am not supposed to use substitutions. I have to actually use the limiting process! This is the beginning of the integrals chapter.

Okay,u should have said that from the beginning...What about the first exercise??Why 2 parabolas??

Daniel.

P.S.U edited your message... :tongue2: Solve for "x" and then determine what curve is on "top" of the other,compute the 2 areas and then subtract them (if they're both positive/negative) or add them if one of them is negative.

Thanks. Any help or hints for the last few problems are appreciated.

Also if we have to evaluate [tex] \int^1_0 (1-x)^n dx [/tex] where n is an integer do I just expand the bracket? Would it be [tex] 1 - nx + x^n +... [/tex]?

Thanks

Without substitution??Okay,the u'd have to use the binomial formula:
[tex] (1-x)^{n}=\sum_{k=0}^{n} C_{n}^{k} (-1)^{n-k} x^{n-k} [/tex]

Daniel.

ok so we know [tex] k = 0, n = 1 [/tex]. So it would be [tex] C^0_1 (-1)^1 x^1 = -x [/tex] So is is [tex] \int^1_0 -x dx = \frac {-1}{2}(b^2 - a^2) = \frac {-1}{2}[/tex]?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think it's [tex] \frac {-1}{2} [/tex] because I just plugged in the values.

Is this right?

Are u asking whether
[tex] \int_{0}^{1} -x \ dx [/tex]

is equal to [tex] -\frac{1}{2} [/tex]
??If so,then the answer is YES.

Daniel.

thank you. is that the answer to [tex] \int^1_0 (1-x)^n [/tex] after simplifying?

No,the answer is:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} (1-x)^{n} dx=\frac{1}{n+1} [/tex]

Daniel.

how did you get this? Did you substitute the values for k and n?

Thanks

I used the binomial formula and got [tex] _-x [/tex]

What?Please explain your result...

Daniel.

Because as you said using the binomial forumula [tex] (1-x)^{n}=\sum_{k=0}^{n} C_{n}^{k} (-1)^{n-k} x^{n-k} [/tex] shouldn't I just substitute [tex] k = 0, n = 1 [/tex] and this equals [tex] 1(-1^{1-0})(x^{1-0}) = - x [/tex]

Thanks for your help

No,"k" is a summation index.And "n" is natural,arbitrary and finite...

Daniel.

Then how would you use the binomial formula?

Thanks

By writing explitely each term from the sum and then applying the fact that
[tex] \int_{a}^{b} [f(x)+g(x)] \ dx=\int_{a}^{b} f(x) \ dx +\int_{a}^{b} g(x) \ dx [/tex]

The property of addition for the definite integrals...

Daniel.

1. What is integration?

Integration is the process of combining different components or elements into a single system, often with the goal of creating a more efficient or functional whole.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration allows for the exchange of information and resources between different systems, which can improve communication, streamline processes, and increase productivity.

3. How does integration work?

Integration typically involves connecting different systems through a series of interfaces or APIs, allowing data to be shared between them in a structured and controlled manner.

4. What are the benefits of integration?

Some potential benefits of integration include improved efficiency, increased data accuracy, enhanced decision-making capabilities, and reduced manual work.

5. What are some common examples of integration?

Common examples of integration include connecting a website to a customer database, linking different software applications, and integrating data from multiple sources for analysis or reporting.