Integration regions

• Thread starter Nicolaus
  • Start date

Homework Statement

What type of region(s) do the following classify as?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would classify D1 as both types; my reasoning is that by the definition of a convex polygon (i.e. all x,y in D1, the lie segment connecting x and y is entirely in D1), this therefore qualifies as both types.
For D2: Let c be a point in interval between x-value endpoints of region, cross section of [email protected], projected onto y-axis is closed interval and depends on c continuously. (This is true for an arbitrary c in between y-value endpoints), so would this be both types as well?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

What type of region(s) do the following classify as?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would classify D1 as both types; my reasoning is that by the definition of a convex polygon (i.e. all x,y in D1, the lie segment connecting x and y is entirely in D1), this therefore qualifies as both types.
For D2: Let c be a point in interval between x-value endpoints of region, cross section of [email protected], projected onto y-axis is closed interval and depends on c continuously. (This is true for an arbitrary c in between y-value endpoints), so would this be both types as well?
So tell us what a region's "type" means. We aren't reading your book.

So tell us what a region's "type" means. We aren't reading your book.
Type I: y varies as a function of x; x is bounded by 2 constants -> y(x) < y < y(x)2
Type II: x varies as a function of y; y is bounded by 2 constants -> x(y) < x < x(y)2

Type I: y varies as a function of x; x is bounded by 2 constants -> y(x) < y < y(x)2
Type II: x varies as a function of y; y is bounded by 2 constants -> x(y) < x < x(y)2
Bump

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I would agree that both areas are both type 1 and type 2. In the right hand figure (D2) the lower boundary is not a function because of the vertical segment. But you can just leave the vertical segent out making a function of ##x## that has a finite jump. Still, area is continuous as a function of ##c## if I understand what you are saying.

I would agree that both areas are both type 1 and type 2. In the right hand figure (D2) the lower boundary is not a function because of the vertical segment. But you can just leave the vertical segent out making a function of ##x## that has a finite jump. Still, area is continuous as a function of ##c## if I understand what you are saying.
Can you expand on the part about negating the vertical segment by making a function of x that has a finite jump? Does this still count as being both type I and II? If I integrate D2 (starting from the left), until I hit the line segment, then add another double integral that starts from that vertical line segment and continues to the right-most bound, will this still be considered both Type I and II (the fact that I partitioned the region into 2 segments of type I (or II) and added them)?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Can you expand on the part about negating the vertical segment by making a function of x that has a finite jump? Does this still count as being both type I and II? If I integrate D2 (starting from the left), until I hit the line segment, then add another double integral that starts from that vertical line segment and continues to the right-most bound, will this still be considered both Type I and II (the fact that I partitioned the region into 2 segments of type I (or II) and added them)?
The fact that you have to break the regions into two parts to do the integration doesn't prevent it from being a type 1 or 2 region. You still have an upper and lower function. They are just two piece formulas.