1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration regions

1. Feb 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What type of region(s) do the following classify as?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I would classify D1 as both types; my reasoning is that by the definition of a convex polygon (i.e. all x,y in D1, the lie segment connecting x and y is entirely in D1), this therefore qualifies as both types.
    For D2: Let c be a point in interval between x-value endpoints of region, cross section of D2@c, projected onto y-axis is closed interval and depends on c continuously. (This is true for an arbitrary c in between y-value endpoints), so would this be both types as well?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So tell us what a region's "type" means. We aren't reading your book.

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3
    Type I: y varies as a function of x; x is bounded by 2 constants -> y(x) < y < y(x)2
    Type II: x varies as a function of y; y is bounded by 2 constants -> x(y) < x < x(y)2

5. Feb 1, 2015 #4
    Bump

6. Feb 1, 2015 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would agree that both areas are both type 1 and type 2. In the right hand figure (D2) the lower boundary is not a function because of the vertical segment. But you can just leave the vertical segent out making a function of ##x## that has a finite jump. Still, area is continuous as a function of ##c## if I understand what you are saying.

7. Feb 2, 2015 #6
    Can you expand on the part about negating the vertical segment by making a function of x that has a finite jump? Does this still count as being both type I and II? If I integrate D2 (starting from the left), until I hit the line segment, then add another double integral that starts from that vertical line segment and continues to the right-most bound, will this still be considered both Type I and II (the fact that I partitioned the region into 2 segments of type I (or II) and added them)?

8. Feb 2, 2015 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The fact that you have to break the regions into two parts to do the integration doesn't prevent it from being a type 1 or 2 region. You still have an upper and lower function. They are just two piece formulas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted