1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration (related to QM).

1. Dec 18, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Questions 3 and 4 in the attachment.

3. The attempt at a solution
    3. [tex]\int d\omega_1 d\omega_2 /|r1-r2|=(2\pi)^2 \int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta_1 \int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta_2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2-2r_1r_2cos(\theta_1+\theta_2)}[/tex]
    don't know how to proceed from here?
    for question 4 I got to the integral:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{-1}^{1}dcos(\theta)x^2exp(-(|x-x_A|+|x-x_B|)/a)dx[/tex]
    Now I can assume that x_A is at the origin and x_B=Rx, where R is the seperation between the two atoms, i.e the exponenet becomes: [tex]exp(-(x+\sqrt{x^2+R^2-2Rxcos(\theta))[/tex], but still how do I proceed from here?

Thanks in advance.
    here's the attachment in case the link doesn't show.

Attached Files:

• HW9.pdf
      HW9.pdf
      File size:
      44.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2009 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I don't see why my first tex code doesn't showup.

4. Dec 18, 2009 #3
    There is a curly bracket missing at the end.

[tex]\int d\omega_1 d\omega_2 /|r1-r2|=(2\pi)^2 \int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta_1 \int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta_2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2-2r_1r_2cos(\theta_1+\theta_2)}}[/tex]

Remember that

[tex]d\Omega = sin\theta d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Also, why do you have a sum of the angles inside cosine? Choose coordinates such taht z-axis is along one of the vectors.

5. Dec 19, 2009 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

So it's should be something like this:
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2-2r_1r_2cos(\theta_1)}}[/tex]
    Now if r1>r2, by expandig this by taylor series, I get that the first term is 1/r1, and the other terms depend on cosines of theta1, which get terminated with the integration.

Can someone help me with the integral in question 4?

EDIT:
    Only odd powers of cosines get terminated in integration, I guess that the other terms get cancelled cause they contain powers greater than 1 of 1/r1, though I believe this result should be exact.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  6. Dec 19, 2009 #5
    You are making this too complicated. After integrating over theta2 (which is trivial) your relult is proportional to

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{sin\theta_1 d\theta_1}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2-2r_1r_2cos\theta_1}}[/tex]

Which is easily integrated because the integrand is of the form f'(g)*g'. Do a substitution u=cos(theta1) if that makes it more clear.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  7. Dec 19, 2009 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

OK, thanks I solved this.

Btw can you help me with my second question?

Thanks in advance.

8. Dec 19, 2009 #7
    Can't really think of a way right now, so let me know if you solve it/get the the solution.

9. Dec 20, 2009 #8

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I think I solved it.
    What I argued is that I assume that x vector is in the direction of x-hat, and that x_A is in the origin and x_B is also in the direction of x-hat but with magnitude of R which is the seperation between A and B.
    I got to the next integral to solve:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^2 e^{-(|x-R|+x)/a}dx[/tex]
    which is easy to calculate.

10. Dec 20, 2009 #9

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Never mind, I found the answer I was looking for in QM-vol 2 of Cohen Tannoudji from pages: 1170-1175.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook