Struggling with Integrals in QM? Here's Some Help!

In summary, the two authors were discussing how to solve an integral. The first author argued that they assumed that the x vector was in the direction of the x-hat and that x_A and x_B were in the origin and had the same magnitude. The second author argued that the x vector was in the direction of x-hat and that x_A was at the origin and x_B was at the origin with magnitude R.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Questions 3 and 4 in the attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

3. [tex]\int d\omega_1 d\omega_2 /|r1-r2|=(2\pi)^2 \int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta_1 \int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta_2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2-2r_1r_2cos(\theta_1+\theta_2)}[/tex]
don't know how to proceed from here?
for question 4 I got to the integral:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{-1}^{1}dcos(\theta)x^2exp(-(|x-x_A|+|x-x_B|)/a)dx[/tex]
Now I can assume that x_A is at the origin and x_B=Rx, where R is the separation between the two atoms, i.e the exponenet becomes: [tex]exp(-(x+\sqrt{x^2+R^2-2Rxcos(\theta))[/tex], but still how do I proceed from here?

Thanks in advance.
here's the attachment in case the link doesn't show.

Attachments

• HW9.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why my first tex code doesn't showup.

There is a curly bracket missing at the end.

[tex]\int d\omega_1 d\omega_2 /|r1-r2|=(2\pi)^2 \int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta_1 \int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta_2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2-2r_1r_2cos(\theta_1+\theta_2)}}[/tex]

Remember that

[tex]d\Omega = sin\theta d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Also, why do you have a sum of the angles inside cosine? Choose coordinates such taht z-axis is along one of the vectors.

So it's should be something like this:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2-2r_1r_2cos(\theta_1)}}[/tex]
Now if r1>r2, by expandig this by taylor series, I get that the first term is 1/r1, and the other terms depend on cosines of theta1, which get terminated with the integration.

Can someone help me with the integral in question 4?

EDIT:
Only odd powers of cosines get terminated in integration, I guess that the other terms get canceled cause they contain powers greater than 1 of 1/r1, though I believe this result should be exact.

Last edited:
You are making this too complicated. After integrating over theta2 (which is trivial) your relult is proportional to

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{sin\theta_1 d\theta_1}{\sqrt{r_1^2+r_2^2-2r_1r_2cos\theta_1}}[/tex]

Which is easily integrated because the integrand is of the form f'(g)*g'. Do a substitution u=cos(theta1) if that makes it more clear.

Last edited:
OK, thanks I solved this.

Btw can you help me with my second question?

Thanks in advance.

Can't really think of a way right now, so let me know if you solve it/get the the solution.

I think I solved it.
What I argued is that I assume that x vector is in the direction of x-hat, and that x_A is in the origin and x_B is also in the direction of x-hat but with magnitude of R which is the separation between A and B.
I got to the next integral to solve:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^2 e^{-(|x-R|+x)/a}dx[/tex]
which is easy to calculate.

Never mind, I found the answer I was looking for in QM-vol 2 of Cohen Tannoudji from pages: 1170-1175.

What is integration in quantum mechanics?

Integration in quantum mechanics refers to the mathematical process of finding the total value of a function over a certain range of values. In quantum mechanics, this is often used to find the probability of a particle being in a certain state or location.

Why is integration important in quantum mechanics?

Integration is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate probabilities and understand the behavior of quantum systems. It also helps us to solve important equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of quantum systems over time.

What are the different types of integration in quantum mechanics?

There are two main types of integration in quantum mechanics: definite and indefinite. Definite integration involves finding the total value of a function over a specific range of values, while indefinite integration involves finding the general form of a function without specifying any particular range of values.

How is integration used in quantum mechanics calculations?

Integration is used in quantum mechanics calculations to find the probability of a particle being in a specific state or location. This is done by integrating the wave function, which describes the state of the particle, over a certain range of values. Integration is also used in solving equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, which is fundamental to understanding quantum systems.

What are some real-world applications of integration in quantum mechanics?

Integration in quantum mechanics has many real-world applications, such as in the development of new technologies like quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It is also used in modeling and understanding physical phenomena at the quantum level, such as the behavior of atoms and molecules. Integration is also essential in fields like chemistry and materials science, where it is used to predict and analyze the behavior of complex systems at the quantum level.