Converting d(γmu) to du: A Relativity Integration Simplification

• Thread starter sparkle123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about converting d(γmu) into some kind of du in the context of relativity. One way to solve it is by letting x = mu/sqrt(1-u^2/c^2) and solving for u. Another way is by using integration.
sparkle123
I simply don't understand this conversion. I've only worked with du, dx, dy, etc. before. How do you change a d(γmu) into some kind of du?
(This is in the contest of relativity, although this info is not essential i think)

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• integration.JPG
    integration.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
sparkle123 said:
I simply don't understand this conversion. I've only worked with du, dx, dy, etc. before. How do you change a d(γmu) into some kind of du?
(This is in the contest of relativity, although this info is not essential i think)

attachment.php?attachmentid=47775&d=1338348275.jpg

What is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{du}\left(\frac{mu}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}\right)\ ?[/itex]

sparkle123 said:

Let [tex]x = \frac{{mu}}{{\sqrt {1 - \frac{{{u^2}}}{{c_{0}^2}}} }}[/tex]

Then solve for u.

Figured it out thanks! :))

Wait dimension10, how do you solve it your way, after getting u = x/sqrt(m^2+x^2/c^2)?

sparkle123 said:
Wait dimension10, how do you solve it your way, after getting u = x/sqrt(m^2+x^2/c^2)?

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{x^2} = \frac{{{m^2}{u^2}}}{{1 - \frac{{{u^2}}}{{{c_0}^2}}}}\\
{x^2} = \frac{{{m^2}}}{{\frac{1}{{{u^2}}} - \frac{1}{{{c_0}^2}}}}\\
\frac{{{m^2}}}{{{x^2}}} + \frac{1}{{c_0^2}} = \frac{1}{{{u^2}}}\\
{u^2} = \frac{1}{{\frac{{{m^2}}}{{{x^2}}} + \frac{1}{{c_0^2}}}}\\
{u^2} = \frac{{c_0^2{x^2}}}{{{m^2}c_0^2 + {x^2}}}\\
u = \frac{{{c_0}x}}{{\sqrt {{m^2}c_0^2 + {x^2}} }}\\
...\\
\int {\frac{{{c_0}x}}{{\sqrt {{m^2}c_0^2 + {x^2}} }}{\rm{d}}x} = \int {m{{\left( {1 - \frac{{{x^2}}}{{c_0^2}}} \right)}^{ - \frac{3}{2}}}x{\rm{ d}}u} = \int {m{{\left( {1 - \frac{{{u^2}}}{{c_0^2}}} \right)}^{ - \frac{3}{2}}}u{\rm{ d}}u}
\end{array}[/tex]

Thanks a lot!

1. What is integration simplification?

Integration simplification is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex integration problems into more manageable forms.

2. Why is integration simplification important?

Integration simplification is important because it allows us to solve integration problems that would otherwise be too difficult or time-consuming to solve. It also helps us better understand the underlying concepts and relationships in mathematics.

3. What are some common methods of integration simplification?

Some common methods of integration simplification include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities.

4. How do I know which method of integration simplification to use?

The method of integration simplification to use depends on the specific problem at hand. It is important to carefully analyze the integrand and try different methods until you find one that works. Practice and experience will also help you develop a better intuition for which method to use.

5. Are there any limitations to integration simplification?

Yes, there are limitations to integration simplification. Some integrals cannot be simplified using traditional methods and require more advanced techniques such as contour integration or numerical integration. Additionally, even with simplification, some integrals may still be difficult or impossible to solve analytically.