Integration sines and cosines question

• Thread starter ilikephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
So, you should get: (integral from -pi to pi) \frac{e^{3ix}-e^{-3ix}}{2i} * \frac{e^{4ix}+e^{-4ix}}{2} dx = 0In summary, to solve the given problem, we must express sine and cosine in exponential form, which can be done using the formulas sin x=e^(ix)-e^(-ix)/2 and cos x=e^(ix)+e^(-ix)/2. Then, we can multiply sin(3x) by cos(4x) and integrate from -pi to pi, resulting in an integral of (e^(3ix)-e^(-3ix)/
ilikephysics
Express the sines and cosines in exponential form and integrate to show that (integral from -pi to pi) sin(3x)cos(4x)dx=0

What I'm thinking is that I should use sin x=e^x-e^-x/2 and cos x=e^x+e^-x/2. And I should multiply sin times 3 and cos times 4 and integrate. And get something like this:

(e^3pi+e^-3pi/2 * e^4pi-e^-4pi/2) - (e^-3pi+e^3pi/2 * e^-4pi-e^4pi/2)=0

I don't think this is right though. Can someone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking up and using some trig reduction formulas.

cookiemonster

Yes, I would be inclined to use "reduction formulas" but if the problem specifically said "Express the sines and cosines in exponential form", then the way ilikephysics is approaching this is correct.

However, the formulas are wrong!

[tex]sin(x)= \frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i} [/tex]
[tex]cos(x)= \frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2} [/tex]

ilikephysics forgot the "i"s.

What is the difference between sine and cosine functions?

The sine and cosine functions are both trigonometric functions used to represent the relationship between angles and sides in a right triangle. The main difference between them is that the sine function represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, while the cosine function represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

What is the general form of an integration problem involving sines and cosines?

The general form of an integration problem involving sines and cosines is ∫(asinx + bcosx)dx, where a and b are constants. This type of integral can be solved using trigonometric identities and integration by substitution.

What are the steps to solve an integration problem involving sines and cosines?

The steps to solve an integration problem involving sines and cosines are:

• Apply trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.
  • Use integration by substitution to rewrite the integral in terms of a single variable.
  • Integrate the new function.
  • Substitute back in the original variable and simplify the solution.

Can sines and cosines be integrated together?

Yes, sines and cosines can be integrated together using the trigonometric identity cos^2x + sin^2x = 1. This identity allows for the integration of a combination of sines and cosines into a single trigonometric function.

What are some real-world applications of integration involving sines and cosines?

Integration involving sines and cosines has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to calculate the amplitude and frequency of a wave, the period of a pendulum, or the trajectory of a projectile. In finance, it can be used to model and predict stock market trends or calculate the value of a bond.