1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration - Special Case

1. Jan 15, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I have been going round in circles on a problem, but I am aware of a special case regarding this integral, however I don't know how to use or really understand it.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate the following function with respect to x.

[itex]e^{x} \sin 2x[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]2 \int e^{x} \sin x dx = e^{x} (\sin x - \cos x) + c[/itex]

I believe this is the relevant equation I need to use...

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\int e^{x} \sin 2x = uv - \int u \frac{dv}{dx} dx [/itex]

[itex] v = e^{x}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{dv}{dx} = e^{x}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{du}{dx} = \sin 2x[/itex]

[itex] u = -\frac{1}{2} \cos 2x[/itex]

So,

[itex]\int e^{x} \sin 2x = -\frac{1}{2} e^{x} \cos 2x - \int -\frac{1}{2} e^{x} \cos 2x[/itex]

Consider

[itex] \int -\frac{1}{2} e^{x} \cos 2x = uv - \int u \frac{dv}{dx} dx [/itex]

[itex] v = e^{x} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{dv}{dx} = e^{x}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{du}{dx} = -\frac{1}{2} \cos 2x[/itex]

[itex] u = -\frac{1}{4} \sin 2x [/itex]

so,

[itex] \int -\frac{1}{2} e^{x} \cos 2x = -\frac{1}{4} e^{x} \sin 2x - \int -\frac{1}{4} e^{x} \sin 2x[/itex]

Bringing that together gives,

[itex]\int e^{x} \sin 2x = -\frac{1}{2} e^{x} \cos 2x + \frac{1}{4} e^{x} \sin 2x - \int -\frac{1}{4} e^{x} \sin 2x[/itex]

This doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere as i'm sure repeating this process will leave me with another integral on the end...

I was trying to follow the process my book uses to arrive at the 'special case' I gave in the relevant equations section, but I don't know how to proceed.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2014 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Subtracting[itex] \frac{1}{4} \int e^{x} \sin 2x dx [/itex] to both sides

[tex] \frac{3}{4} \int e^{x} \sin 2x dx = -\frac{1}{2} e^{x} \cos 2x + \frac{1}{4} e^{x} \sin 2x+C[/tex]

However I think you have a minus sign issue in getting to that last equation you should go back and look for. The final step will be exactly the same idea though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted