1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration (substituition)

1. May 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

for this question, the question only stated SUITABLE substituition, what substituition should i use? this substituion does not involve trigo functions , am i right? P/S : i'm just asking opinion, not the full working.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't need trig functions. Use a substitution that will get rid of the square root.

4. May 2, 2014 #3
    what should i sub? how to determine the substitution for this type of question? can i sub u= surd x ? or u=( 1+ surd x ) ? or u=(( 1+ surd x ) sqrt)

5. May 2, 2014 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Why don't you try it and see? Both ##u = \sqrt{x}## and ##u = 1 + \sqrt{x}## work but one gives a quicker and neater answer.

6. May 4, 2014 #5
    for this type of question, can i use any substituition i like such as u=(1+ surd x )^2 ?

7. May 4, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can TRY any substitution you like, they won't all help you to integrate. Don't forget when you substitute u=f(x) you also have to find du so you can figure out how to express the dx part in terms of u.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted