Integrating with Substitution: Solving Tricky Integrals

In summary, the conversation is about struggling to solve a specific part of a question involving integration and substitution. The individual is having trouble with the limits and has made some progress with substitution, but is unsure about the denominator and asks for help to finish the problem. The other person suggests using u = sin t and reminds them to make sure all variables are in terms of u. They also mention that the integral can be represented by the EllipticF function in Mathematica.
jamesbob
Am i being really dumb when struggling to do this?

[tex] L = 4\sqrt{2}c \left \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \left \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1 + sin^2 t}} [/tex]

Using substitution or otherwise show that

[tex] L = 4c \left \int_{0}^{1} \left \frac{du}{\sqrt{1 - u^4}} [/tex]

Its a small part of a question but its stopping me doing the rest. Anyone help me out? The limits I am fine with, for the rest i get:

[tex] u = \sin t \left \frac{du}{dt} = \cos t \left dt = \frac{du}{\cos t} \left so \left L = \frac{du}{\sqrt{1 - u^2}\cos t} \left ? [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it should be a [itex]\sqrt {1 + u^2 } [/itex] in the denominator, in what you have so far. Then remember that everything has to stand in the new variable u, you can't have any t's anymore.
But since [itex] u = \sin t[/itex], we have that [itex]\cos t = \sqrt {1 - \sin ^2 t} = \sqrt {1 - u^2 } [/itex].

Can you finish it?

BTW,

[tex] \int \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1+\sin^{2}t}} =F\left(x|-1\right) [/tex]

,where F(x|m) is http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/functions/EllipticF/" .

Daniel.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals by replacing the variable with a function of the same variable. This allows for easier integration by simplifying the integral to a more manageable form.

2. How do you perform integration by substitution?

To perform integration by substitution, you first need to identify a function that can be substituted for the variable in the integral. Then you use the chain rule to rewrite the integral in terms of the new function. Finally, you solve the new integral and substitute back in the original variable.

3. What is the purpose of integration by substitution?

The purpose of integration by substitution is to simplify integrals that cannot be solved using basic integration techniques. It allows for the integration of more complex functions by transforming them into simpler forms.

4. When should you use integration by substitution?

You should use integration by substitution when the integral contains a nested function, such as an exponential or trigonometric function, that cannot be integrated using basic techniques. It is also useful for integrals with radical expressions or polynomials.

5. What are some common mistakes made when using integration by substitution?

Some common mistakes when using integration by substitution include not choosing the correct substitution function, forgetting to apply the chain rule, and making errors in algebraic simplification. It is important to carefully choose the substitution function and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.