Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Summation Notation

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    Okay I've seen how crazy Riemann sums can get in real analysis and I've noticed a heirarchy of notation.

The Stewart/Thomas etc... kinds of books use;

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_i) \Delta x[/tex]

Where;

[tex]\Delta x = \frac{b - a}{n} and x_i = a + i\Delta x[/tex]

Then the books like Apostol and Bartle's real analysis use;

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_i) (x_i - x_i_-_1)[/tex]

and what I'd like to know is how to calculate the (x_i - x_i_-_1) for some equation like;

f(x) = x² integrated from 2 to 8. I can do the Δx = (b - a)/n version fine but how do you work the newer notation?

in f(x_i) (x_i - x_i_-_1) I would assume f(x_i) would use any endpoint, i.e. the right endpoint being a + iΔx but how do you make sense of the (x_i - x_i_-_1)???

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2
    As you say, they both essentially mean the same thing. To see this, just substitute [tex](i.\frac{b - a}{n}[/tex] for [tex]x_i[/tex] and [tex](i-1).\frac{b - a}{n}[/tex] for [tex]x_{i-1}[/tex] in the latter notation, and simplify.

[tex]x_i[/tex] just means the "value you get after adding [tex]i\frac{b-a}{n}[/tex] to [tex]a[/tex] ".

I'm not sure if this answers your question.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  4. May 6, 2010 #3
    Thomas is in BIG TROUBLE if he actually says [itex]x \to \infty[/itex] ... but I think it is just sponsoredwalk who is mistaken ...

5. May 6, 2010 #4
    That answered my question perfectly thanks, I was a bit confused because the i was in the subscript.

Yeah that's actually [tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} [/tex] :redface:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook