Solution to Hydrostatic Bearing Integration Task

• Thread starter mathi85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a task from an assignment involving circular hydrostatic bearing. The total load capacity is given by a formula involving two integrals, and the task is to show that it can be expressed in terms of radial pressure and recess pressure. After some discussion and equations, it is determined that the given answer may be incorrect and the correct formula may be twice as large. The conversation ends with a clarification about the use of braces in LaTeX script.
mathi85
Hi everyone!
I would like to ask you for help with one of the tasks from my assignment. The rest of the assignment is done including some simple integration but I struggle with this one:

Task
"The total load capacity for a circular hydrostatic bearing is given as

##W=\int_0^{R_o} p_r(2πr dr) + \int_{R_o}^R p(2πr dr) ##

By expressing the radial pressure in terms of the recess pressure, and by step by step argument, show that:

##W={\frac{π}{2}}{\frac{R^2-R_o^2}{2ln(R/R_o)}}p_r ## "

I think that radial pressure in terms of recess pressure is:

##p=p_r{\frac{ln(R/r)}{ln(R/R_o)}} ##

I really cannot get my head around it. Shall I just substitute above equation for 'p'? Then I would get:

##W=\int_0^{R_o} p_r(2πr dr) + \int_{R_o}^R{\frac{p_r2πrdrln(R/r)}{ln(R/R_o)}} ##

Do I have to then sort both integrals and just add them up together?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathi85 said:
Hi everyone!
I would like to ask you for help with one of the tasks from my assignment. The rest of the assignment is done including some simple integration but I struggle with this one:

Task
"The total load capacity for a circular hydrostatic bearing is given as

##W=\int_0^{R_o} p_r(2πr dr) + \int_{R_o}^R p(2πr dr) ##

By expressing the radial pressure in terms of the recess pressure, and by step by step argument, show that:

##W={\frac{π}{2}}{\frac{R^2-R_o^2}{2ln(R/R_o)}}p_r ## "

I think that radial pressure in terms of recess pressure is:

##p=p_r{\frac{ln(R/r)}{ln(R/R_o)}} ##

I really cannot get my head around it. Shall I just substitute above equation for 'p'? Then I would get:

##W=\int_0^{R_o} p_r(2πr dr) + \int_{R_o}^R{\frac{p_r2πrdrln(R/r)}{ln(R/R_o)}} ##

Do I have to then sort both integrals and just add them up together?

Yes. That is exactly what the formula says.

BTW: I think the given answer is too small by a factor of 2.

Here is first part:

##\int_R_o^0 ##

mathi85 said:
Here is first part:

##\int_R_o^0 ##

Are you saying that your equation in the original post is wrong?

mathi85 said:
Here is first part:

##\int_R_o^0 ##
Is this what you meant to write?
$$\int_{R_0}^0$$
The LaTeX script for the above is \int_{R_0}^0. If a limit of integration is more than one character, you need to put it in braces - { }.

1. What is a hydrostatic bearing?

A hydrostatic bearing is a type of bearing that uses a fluid, usually oil, to support the load of a rotating shaft. It works by maintaining a pressurized film of fluid between the bearing surfaces, reducing friction and allowing for smooth rotation.

2. What is the purpose of the integration task for a hydrostatic bearing?

The integration task for a hydrostatic bearing is to ensure that the bearing is properly integrated into the overall system design. This includes determining the appropriate size, pressure, and fluid type for the bearing to work efficiently and effectively.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting a fluid for a hydrostatic bearing?

When selecting a fluid for a hydrostatic bearing, factors such as viscosity, pressure, temperature, and compatibility with the bearing material should be taken into account. The fluid should also have good lubricating properties and be able to withstand the expected load and operating conditions.

4. How is the pressure in a hydrostatic bearing maintained?

The pressure in a hydrostatic bearing is maintained by a pump that circulates the fluid through the bearing. The pump must be sized appropriately to ensure that the pressure is high enough to support the load, but not so high that it causes excessive heat and wear on the bearing surfaces.

5. What are the advantages of using a hydrostatic bearing?

Some advantages of using a hydrostatic bearing include low friction, high load-carrying capacity, and long service life. They also offer better shock and vibration absorption compared to other types of bearings, making them suitable for high-speed and precision applications. Additionally, hydrostatic bearings can operate in both horizontal and vertical orientations, making them versatile for various applications.