1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Technique

1. Mar 24, 2007 #1
    Greetings,

I know [tex] \int \frac {1} {{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx[/tex] is arcsine(x)

My question is can [tex] \int \frac {1} {\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx[/tex]
    be solved by some technique (parts, substitution...) and the answer be in terms of x and NOT an expression of arcsine?

Meaning, I would like the solution to the integral in terms of x and possibly other functions (ln for example) but not in terms of trig functions.

If so, can you show me?

Thanks
    Sparky_

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2007 #2
    It can be done by an appropriate trig substitution ie. x=sin(y), but the answer will end up identically. I'm fairly certain that arcsin(x) is the only answer you will ever get though.

4. Mar 24, 2007 #3
    Antiderivatives are unique up to a constant. Ie, all antiderivatives of that will be arcsine(x)+C.

5. Mar 24, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only two other (sane) ways I can think of to write that antiderivative is as a power series, or in terms of a complex logarithm. But any of those ways will simply be a different way of writing arcsin x.

6. Mar 24, 2007 #5
    One could certainly express arcsin in terms of logs using Euler's formula...

7. Mar 24, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yea, Hurkyl already mentioned that.

So yes I think the OP is happy,

8. Mar 25, 2007 #7
    What I am wanting is an expression for arcsine that uses other functions (hopefully LN and powers of x) but I am hoping to work in the real domain.

Gib Z help me quite a bit with a derivation regarding arcsine.

I was hoping some clever integration could come up with another expression equal to arcsin by integrating the derivative of arcsine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Sparky_

9. Mar 25, 2007 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If trig substitution, which just about everyone mentioned, is not a "clever integration", I don't know what is!

10. Mar 25, 2007 #9
    I agree trig substitution is clever, I was hoping for a solution that doesn't include trig functions.

-Sparky_

11. Mar 26, 2007 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I remember what sparky wanted from his previous thread that i tried to help him in. He had [tex]\arcsin x = -i \ln ( ix \pm \sqrt{1-x^2})[/tex] as he should, but could not prove why the expressions were equal.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  12. Mar 26, 2007 #11
    Correct Gib_Z and you did help me prove it - you helped me get the true solution and in that I ended up with some other solutions that I assumed involved the other quadrants.

Using that expression (arcsin = -iln(...) has become very involved due to working in the complex domain.

I'm now searching for a similar type of solution in the real domain only. (I suppose this rules out Euler's)

-Sparky_

13. Mar 28, 2007 #12

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well then the best answer I can give you is the Taylor Series for Arcsin x, which If i remember correctly is this:

[tex]\arcsin x = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(2n)!}{4^n (n!)^2 (2n+1)} x^{2n+1}[/tex]

14. Mar 28, 2007 #13
    Thank you all for your help.

Sparky_

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?