Integrating √(ex-3) with Substitution: Step-by-Step Guide

• I
  • Thread starter albalaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses using a substitution to solve the problem of ∫√(ex-3). The suggested substitution is u = √(ex-3) and the derivative du/dx = e^x/(2*u). The conversation also explores different approaches to solving the problem, including completing the square and using trigonometric substitution. The eventual answer given is 2√(ex-3) - 2 √3 arctan(ex-3)/√3) +c.
albalaka
I have been given the problem ∫√(ex-3)

and we must use the substitution u = √(ex-3)

I can start it off with u = √(ex-3)
and du = exdx/2u

and what I've been trying is to complete the square and go towards 2 ∫ u2du/((u2+4) -1)

But I am not getting towards the answer, either I am doing something wrong in the middle, or my approach is wrong.

the answer given is 2√(ex-3) - 2 √3 arctan(ex-3)/√3) +c

any help would really be appreciated, I've searched online trying to find a pattern, but i just can't figure it out

Physics news on Phys.org
u = sqrt(e^x - 3)

du/dx = e^x/(2*u)

now you can solve for e^x in terms of u: e^x = u^2 + 3

can you take it from here?

Thats where I can get up to, I have 2 ∫ u2du/(u2 + 3)

I just can't figure out where to go from there

integrate by parts

or write the nominator in the integrand 2u^2 as 2(u^2+3-3)

albalaka said:
Thats where I can get up to, I have 2 ∫ u2du/(u2 + 3)

I just can't figure out where to go from there

I would suggest [itex]u = \sqrt{3}\tan\theta[/itex].

pasmith said:
I would suggest [itex]u = \sqrt{3}\tan\theta[/itex].

totally overkill :) just add and subtract 3 from the nominator

malawi_glenn said:
totally overkill :) just add and subtract 3 from the nominator
But how do you know what [itex]
-2\int \frac 3{3 + u^2}\,du[/itex] is? :-p

Last edited:
pasmith said:

Well, a trig substitution is not nessecary there ;)

pasmith said:

I thought the integral of 1/(x^2+1) was standard to know

1. What is substitution in integration?

Substitution is a technique used in integration where a new variable is introduced to replace the existing variable in the integrand. This new variable is chosen in such a way that it simplifies the integration process.

2. Why is substitution used in integrating √(ex-3)?

In the integral of √(ex-3), the variable inside the square root is in the form of a polynomial. Substituting a new variable can help in simplifying the integral, making it easier to solve.

3. How do you choose the substitution variable?

The substitution variable should be chosen in such a way that it simplifies the integral. Generally, it is chosen as the inner function of the composite function inside the integral. In the case of √(ex-3), the substitution variable would be u = ex-3.

4. What are the steps involved in integrating √(ex-3) with substitution?

The steps involved in integrating √(ex-3) with substitution are as follows:1. Choose a substitution variable.2. Rewrite the integral in terms of the substitution variable.3. Differentiate the substitution variable and substitute it in the integral.4. Simplify the integral and solve for the new variable.5. Substitute back the original variable to get the final solution.

5. What are some tips for successfully integrating √(ex-3) with substitution?

Some tips for successfully integrating √(ex-3) with substitution are:1. Choose the substitution variable carefully.2. Practice identifying the correct substitution variable.3. Be familiar with basic integration rules.4. Simplify the integral as much as possible before solving.5. Double check your solution by differentiating the final answer.