1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration to d density function

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1
    I have a problem with an integration, namely:

Int(from 0 to x) (1-F(x-t)) dF(x)

and do not know how to calculate....:-(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it help,s dF(x) = (dF/dx)dx

4. Apr 15, 2005 #3
    It helps, but that mean to multiply the integrand by the density f=dF/dx and then integrate over dx, so like how to derive the expectation....

but another problem is, that I do not know the density and need to have a result within F(x)

5. Apr 15, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you can do it, though you do'nt think you can. so let#'s play a littel game.

What's the integral of 1 with respect to x? 1 wrt y? 1 wrt F(x)?

Now what's the integral of x wrt x? y wrt y, F(s) wrt F(s)?

Note, I don't think you want an x in the integrand and in the limit.

6. Apr 16, 2005 #5
    That's almost all clear but in my book i read that F(s) wrt F(s) is something like F(s)*F(s) which stands here for the convolution....
    And i have a x in the itegrand as well as in the limit.
    As I said before: int(0 to x) 1-F(x-t) wrt F(t), sorry so you are write, it is F(t) not F(x)!

7. Apr 17, 2005 #6
    Thank you very much for your support, but yesterday i found the answer in my stochastic I scriptum....if someone is interested in:

Let x, y be independent rvs with dfs F and G then holds for the distribuntion of the sum x+y:

H(a)=P(x+y<=a)=int F(a-v)dG(v).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?