Integration Tricks for Homework Statement on Electrodynamics Problem

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, kbaumen said that the dot between the function and dx means that the function does not define a vector field.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

Hi all, as part of an electrodynamics-problem, I encountered:

[itex]\int {\frac{x}{{{{({x^2} + 1)}^3}}} \cdot dx} [/itex]

I know how to get the answer with my computer, but I wanted to know how to do it by hand. It’s getting to the point here in physics-grad-school that I need to know how to do this stuff “off the cuff”, so to speak.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well...this is part of a solution of a bigger problem. I know there's some sort of trig substitution or trig identity. It happens that x = r/d, where "r" is an in-plane polar distance (x^2 + y^2), and "d" is distance above the plane, and I rearranged the integral I got into getting the dimensionless length scale x = r/d ... and by the above geometry, if you consider theta to be the angle between "r" and "d", then r/d = tan(theta). But:

dx = d(r/d) = d(tan(theta)) = (1 + tan(theta)^2)*d(theta)

That's just a mess. :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I missing something? Or does it really just work with u=x^2+1?

The above coment is correct. This is a simple substitution of [tex]u=x^{2}+1[/tex]. Then the next step is a simple interation of a polynomial of degree -3.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
The above coment is correct. This is a simple substitution of [tex]u=x^{2}+1[/tex]. Then the next step is a simple interation of a polynomial of degree -3.

I assume the dot there is an accident then, it doesn't mean anything.

Well it is obvious that the function does not define a vector field. I believe it means nothing.

Wow...u = x^2 + 1 makes it easy-peezee, lemon squeezy. ::blush:: guess I missed it. I learned how to integrate stuff 7 years ago, and I've made the mistake of letting a computer do it for me most of the time. Bah.

u = 1+x^2
du = 2x dx

-> integral = 0.5*(1/u^3)du

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:

kbaumen said:
It does mean something - it's the period at the end of the sentence.

44 I think he was referring to the dot in OP's post, the one between his function and dx :-).

I use dots to make scalar-multiplication clear. I recognize it as "it's ok to assume this kind of multiplication commutes", rather than the multiplication of things like operators and cross products.

Why,by convention dot is used for other things other than regular scalar multiplication. It might prove to be confusing for some people. The truth is that I originally didn't notice it.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:

kbaumen said:

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
44 I think he was referring to the dot in OP's post, the one between his function and dx :-).
I don't think so. kbaumen quoted your post (the first one above), not the OP with the integral in it.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Well it is obvious that the function does not define a vector field. I believe it means nothing.
In this case, I believe kbaumen was referring to the period at the end of the sentence. Dots are often used for multiplication, especially with constants, as in
[tex]3 \cdot 5 = 15[/tex].

The first dot indicates multiplcation; the last one is the period at the end of the sentence.

Sorry for not making it clear, but I was indeed referring to the dot between the function and dx.

1. What are some common techniques for solving integration problems in electrodynamics?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems in electrodynamics include partial fraction decomposition, integration by parts, substitution, and trigonometric identities.

2. How do I know which integration technique to use for a specific problem?

The best way to determine which integration technique to use is to analyze the form of the integrand and look for patterns or familiar functions. You can also try different techniques and see which one yields the most simplified expression.

3. Can I use calculus software to solve integration problems in electrodynamics?

Yes, you can use calculus software such as Mathematica or Maple to solve integration problems in electrodynamics. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind the software's solutions in order to effectively apply them to other problems.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving integration problems in electrodynamics?

Yes, there are some common shortcuts and tricks that can be used in integration problems in electrodynamics. These include using symmetry to simplify the integrand, using known properties of special functions, and applying clever substitutions.

5. How can I check if my integration solution is correct?

The best way to check if your integration solution is correct is to differentiate your result and see if it yields the original integrand. You can also use online calculus tools or compare your solution with other methods to confirm its accuracy.