Integration Help: Solve ∫sqrt(a^2-x^2)/x*sqrt(x^2-b^2)

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult integration problem and the attempt at solving it using substitutions. The original poster also provides a possible helpful equation, but later realizes it may not be correct.
WiFO215

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}[/tex][tex]/[/tex][tex]x*\sqrt{x^{2}-b^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried all sorts of substitutions and none work. Please help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would it help to know that
[tex]\frac{a^2- x^2}{x^2- b^2}= \frac{b^2- a^2}{x^2- b^2}- 1[/tex]

Edit notice: I multiplied the integrand by 1/x. Its not to the xth root of. I didn't type that in first type.

I don't have a clue how that helps HallsofIvy.

Mathematica says this rubbish can't be solved.

Have you editted the first post? I didn't notice that "x" outside the square root before.
Let u= x2- b2 so that du= 2xdx
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{b^2-a^2}{x^2- b^2}-1}= \sqrt{\frac{A}{u}- 1}[/tex]

Yes. I edited the first post. Forget it though. I think what I did is wrong anyway.

1. How do I solve this integral?

The first step in solving this integral is to use the substitution u = x2 - b2. This will transform the integral into ∫(a2 - u)/sqrt(u)*sqrt(a2 - u) du. Then, use the trigonometric substitution u = a sin θ to further simplify the integral.

2. What is the domain of this integral?

The domain of this integral is all real numbers except for x = ±b. This is because the original function is undefined at these points, as it would result in division by zero.

3. Can I use a different substitution to solve this integral?

Yes, there are multiple ways to solve this integral. Another common substitution is u = a2 - x2, which transforms the integral into ∫(u - b2)/sqrt(u)*sqrt(u - b2) du. This substitution can also be solved using trigonometric functions.

4. Is there a shortcut or trick for solving this integral?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut or trick for solving this integral. It requires a substitution and some algebraic manipulation to simplify the integrand before it can be solved.

5. Can I use a calculator or software to solve this integral?

Yes, there are various calculators and software programs that can solve integrals, including this one. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of integration and the steps involved in solving an integral in order to use these tools effectively.