1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Volume

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    there are the two types of volume integration which i am aware of, disc-integration and shell integration. What is the difference between these? where would each one? Also i was looking at shell integration on carious sites on the net, and i am still a little confused how the generic formula works. Could someone ever so kindly explain this to me?

many thanks,
    pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The difference between disk and shell integration is where the axis of rotation is. Lets assume that you are integrating a solid of rotation of some f(x)dx. If the axis of rotation is parallel to the x axis then you use disk integration, but if the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the x axis then you use shell integration.

4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    How would you find the general vector equation of a solid of revolution?

5. Sep 29, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Disks" works, of course, by using disks- normally, the radius of the disk is the value of the function and you calculate the area by [itex]\pi f(x)[/itex], multiply by the "thickness", dx, and then integrate.

"Shells" works by using thin cylinders. The radius is typically the x-value so you have a "circumference" calculation [itex]2\pi x[/itex] and then multiply by the "height" of the cylinder, f(x): you integrate [itex]2\pi x f(x) dx[/itex\.

6. Sep 29, 2007 #5
    okay thanks for the replies
    it is a little less confusing now
    ill try reading into in more and repost if i am still stuck,
    thanks once again for your time,
    pavadrin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?