Integration Volume: Finding the Rotation of Shaded Area

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid generated by rotating a shaded area through pi radians around the y-axis. The given equations are y=x^2 and y=2-x^2, and the question asks if there are any mistakes in the set up. The correct answer is found to be pi/2, not pi.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

Find the volume of solid generated when the shaded area is rotated through pi radians about the y-axis . The graphs are y=x^2 and y=2-x^2 .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i did everything and found the answer to be 16/15 pi but the answer given is pi .

[tex]V=\pi \int^{1}_{0}x^4 dx+\pi \int^{2}_{1}(2-x^2)^2 dx [/tex]

any mistakes in my set up ?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I set it up, I got:

[tex]V=\int_0^1\pi x\int_{x^2}^{2-x^2} dy dx = \int_0^1\pi x(2-2x^2)dx = 2\pi[\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{x^4}{4}]_0^1 = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

However, this gives pi/2, not pi. Are you sure pi is the right answer? Anyone else?

ok , i think i see my mistake , its with respect to y .

What is integration volume?

Integration volume is a mathematical concept that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape by integrating the cross-sectional area of the shape over a certain interval of the shape's axis.

How is integration volume used to find the rotation of shaded area?

Integration volume can be used to find the rotation of shaded areas by first finding the cross-sectional area of the shaded region, then integrating that area over the axis of rotation.

What are some common applications of integration volume?

Integration volume has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to find the volume of irregular shapes, calculate the amount of fluid in a container, or determine the work done by a force over a distance.

Can integration volume be used for any shape?

Yes, integration volume can be used to find the volume of any shape as long as it is bounded by a continuous curve and has a defined axis of rotation.

What are the steps involved in finding integration volume?

The steps for finding integration volume include determining the axis of rotation, finding the cross-sectional area of the shape, setting up the integration limits, and integrating the cross-sectional area over the axis of rotation.