1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration vs. Riemann Sums

1. Dec 1, 2006 #1
    Is there ever a situation where it is more appropriate/advantageous to use Riemann summation as opposed to evaluating an integral, or is Riemann summation merely taught in order to help the student to understand what's going on?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2006 #2
    I always thought the Riemann sum was more fun to do!
  4. Dec 1, 2006 #3
    I would say that Riemann sums are taught primarily for grasping the concept of integration. It becomes impractical/impossible for complex functions and I can't think of a time when it would be easier.
  5. Dec 1, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Riemann sums are not "merely" taught to "understand what is going on".
    They are taught because the PROOFS of Riemann integration depend on them, and as it happens, it is proofs that constitute the soul of maths, not nifty calculation techniques.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  6. Dec 1, 2006 #5
    Thats true.
  7. Dec 1, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Numerical integration techniques are based on Riemann sums.

Also, typically the way one sets up an integral in a particular application is typically based on the Riemann sum concept.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?