1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration with Dirac Delta

1. Jun 27, 2017 #1

Ado

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to integrate this expression :

P(k, w) = A * δ(w-k*v) * f(k, w)

A is constant and δ, Dirac Delta.

2. Relevant equations

There is double integration :

I = ∫0 dk ∫0 P(k,w) dw
    = A ∫∫0 δ(w-k*v) * f(k, w) dw dk

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm confused with Delta Dirac for calculating this integral.

Let us proceed the w-variable integration firstly. Since the δ-term impose w = k*v, we need to calculate :
    0 f(k=w/v, w) dw
    But after that, there is no longer any k-dependence...

Of course I'm wrong.. can you explain me how to proceed ??

Thanks in advance !

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I believe you could do the integration in either order, ## dk ## or ## d \omega ## first. The delta function should get removed with the first integration, and both methods should give the same answer. When doing the ## dk ## integration first, I believe the factor ## v ## will affect the delta function, and the substitution ## u=vk ## would be useful. ## \\ ## Suggestion: Try something such as ## \int\limits_{0}^{+\infty} \int\limits_{0}^{+\infty} \exp(-\omega^2) \, \delta(\omega-vk) \, d \omega \, dk ##. When you do the ## dk ## integration first, nothing happens to the ## \omega ## in the exponential, since any ## k ## term would get converted, but ## \omega ## terms are unaffected. And yes, to get agreement with the answer where you do the ## d \omega ## first, you need the substitution ## u=vk ## when doing ## dk ## first. With this substitution, ## dk=\frac{du}{v} ##, and the delta function with the ## du ## integration integrates to unity. ## \\ ## The process when the ## d \omega ## integration is performed first is a little more straightforward. ## \\ ## (Note: Here we let ## f(k, \omega)=\exp(-\omega^2) ## with no ## k ## dependence).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  4. Jul 30, 2017 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're forcing w to be a function of k but this is not right. k and w are both variables. Go
    I = A ∫ ∫ f(k,w) δ(w - kv) dw dk
    Sampling characteristic of the delta function leads to
    I = A f(k, w=kv)dk
    provided (lower limit of integration) < kv < (upper limit of integration) over w.

5. Aug 10, 2017 #4

Ado

You are right rude man, thank's for your help :)

6. Aug 10, 2017 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Most welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted