Integrate w/o Bounds on TI-89: How to Change?

In summary, the TI-89 may give a numerical answer when using the integral feature even without selecting bounds, due to a stored value in 'x'. To avoid this, clear the variables or use a different variable. This may not be an issue with newer TI-89 models with more memory.
jaejoon89
When I use the integral feature, my TI-89 is giving a numerical answer even if I'm not selecting any bounds for integration (i.e., if I'm just taking the antiderivative). It's as if there's an implicit integral or something. How do I change this so I can just get a normal antiderivative?

For example, if the function is x (or whatever) and I do int[x,x] it gives 0.03125 instead of 1/2 x^2

Computer science news on Phys.org
jaejoon89 said:
When I use the integral feature, my TI-89 is giving a numerical answer even if I'm not selecting any bounds for integration (i.e., if I'm just taking the antiderivative). It's as if there's an implicit integral or something. How do I change this so I can just get a normal antiderivative?

For example, if the function is x (or whatever) and I do int[x,x] it gives 0.03125 instead of 1/2 x^2

You probably have a value stored in 'x'. If you clear your variables (or, at least x, or use a different variable) you should get something symbolic. CAVEAT: I last used my TI-89 for something like what you're doing when TI-89s had only 1 MB of total memory.

I understand the frustration of encountering unexpected results while using a tool or software. In this case, it seems that the TI-89 is automatically performing a definite integral even when the user is not selecting any bounds for integration. This can be confusing and may not align with the user's desired outcome, which is to obtain a normal antiderivative.

To change this behavior, you can try adjusting the settings on your TI-89. First, go to the "Mode" menu and select "Function." Then, scroll down to the "Integration" section and make sure that the "Auto" option is unchecked. This will prevent the calculator from automatically performing a definite integral when no bounds are selected.

Additionally, you can also manually input the bounds for integration when using the integral feature. Instead of just selecting the function to integrate, you can type in the bounds in the format "int[f(x), x, a, b]" where a and b are the lower and upper bounds, respectively. This will ensure that the calculator performs a definite integral with the specified bounds.

I hope this helps you obtain the desired results when using the integral feature on your TI-89. As a scientist, it is important to understand and utilize the tools we have at our disposal, and to also be able to troubleshoot and adapt when unexpected results occur. Keep exploring and learning, and don't be afraid to reach out for help or further clarification when needed.

What is the TI-89?

The TI-89 is a scientific graphing calculator manufactured by Texas Instruments. It is commonly used by students, engineers, and scientists for mathematical calculations and graphing.

What does it mean to integrate without bounds?

Integrating without bounds means that the integral does not have specified limits or boundaries. This is also known as an indefinite integral, and the resulting solution is a general formula rather than a specific numerical value.

How can I change the integration settings on my TI-89?

To change the integration settings on a TI-89, follow these steps:
1. Press the "Mode" button.
2. Scroll down to the "Calculus" section and select "Integrate".
3. Use the arrow keys to highlight "Indefinite" and press "Enter".
4. Press "F2" to access the options menu.
5. Use the arrow keys to select the desired settings, such as precision or display format.
6. Press "Enter" to save the changes.

Can I integrate functions with multiple variables on a TI-89?

Yes, the TI-89 can integrate functions with multiple variables. However, it is limited to two variables, x and y. To perform a double integral, use the "doubleInt" function and specify the variables and limits of integration.

Is there a way to check my indefinite integral solution on a TI-89?

Yes, the TI-89 has a built-in function called "nDeriv" that can be used to check the solution of an indefinite integral. This function takes in the integrated function and the variable, and calculates the derivative to verify the solution.