Why Does My TI-89 Calculate Definite Integrals Instead of Indefinite?

In summary, integration is the process of finding the area under a curve and is important for solving real-world problems. To perform integration on a TI-89 calculator, the built-in "Integrate" function can be used. There is a difference between definite and indefinite integration, with definite giving a specific answer and indefinite giving a function. The TI-89 can also solve improper integrals using the same process. To check the answer, the "Simplify" function can be used to compare the result to the original function.
jaejoon89
When I use the integral feature, my TI-89 is giving a numerical answer even if I'm not selecting any bounds for integration (i.e., if I'm just taking the antiderivative). It's as if there's an implicit integral or something. How do I change this so I can just get a normal antiderivative?

For example, if the function is x (or whatever) and I do int[x,x] it gives 1/32 instead of 1/2 x^2

Computer science news on Phys.org
You set x to 1/4, you need to clear that variable (on my TI92 that's delvar x).

I understand your frustration with the integral feature on your TI-89 calculator. It is important to note that the calculator is programmed to give a numerical answer when no bounds are selected for integration. This is because the calculator is assuming that you want to evaluate the definite integral from negative infinity to positive infinity, which results in a numerical answer.

To change this and get a normal antiderivative, you can use the "nDeriv" function instead of the "int" function. The "nDeriv" function allows you to find the derivative of a function without specifying any bounds. This will give you the desired antiderivative result.

Alternatively, you can also manually input the bounds for integration when using the "int" function. For example, if you want to find the antiderivative of x, you can input "int[x,x,0,x]" which will give you the result of 1/2 x^2.

I hope this helps you to get the desired results from your TI-89 calculator. Remember to always double check your inputs and make sure you are using the correct function for the desired outcome.

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to solve a wide variety of real-world problems, such as finding the velocity of an object or the volume of a shape.

2. How can I use my TI-89 calculator to perform integration?

To perform integration on your TI-89 calculator, you can use the built-in "Integrate" function. Simply enter the function you want to integrate, along with the variable and the limits of integration, and the calculator will give you the result.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact numerical value of a definite integral, while indefinite integration involves finding a general formula for the integral. In other words, definite integration gives a specific answer, while indefinite integration gives a function.

4. Can I use my TI-89 to solve improper integrals?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator has a built-in function for solving improper integrals. You will need to enter the function, the variable, and the limits of integration, just like with regular integrals.

5. How can I check my answer when using the TI-89 to perform integration?

To check your answer, you can use the "Simplify" function on your TI-89. This will simplify the result of your integration and allow you to compare it to the original function to ensure that they are equal.