1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration; work; missing 2

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    A vat (shown in attachment) contains water 2 m deep. Find work required to pump all water out of top of vat. (weight density of water density= 9810 N/m^3)

[itex]W=\int^b_a F(x)dx[/itex]

weight of water=[itex]F(x)=V\rho[/itex]

put my figure on the coordinate axis so I came up with general equation for the base, with respect to height (using a y=mx+b format):

but, I want to go down a positive depth, so I negated the equation:
    [itex]b= (h-3)\frac{-2}{3}[/itex]

As you can see, the above equation follows correctly, at a depth(h) of 0, we have a base of 2, at a depth(h) of 3 we have a base of 0, so the equation is valid, so far no mess-ups... I hope

Now, the general equation for a triangular volume is: Volume= [itex]V=\frac{1}{2}bhL[/itex] (b=base, h=height, L=length)
    But, because my equation for b is only taking one half of the triangle, I double it:
    substituting (1) into (2) I get
    [itex]V=\frac{2}{3}(3-h) hL= L=6m so[/itex]

[itex]W=\int^3_1 F(x)dx=\int^3_1 V\rho dx=\int^3_1 4(3h-h^2)(9810) dx[/itex]
    ...which is exactly half of the answer, I just can't seem to find that missing 2 despite being so concise. I remembered to double the volume of my second figure to take into account the full triangle base. Please help me find this... it's so close

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook