1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Y= (1/(e^x + 1))

1. Dec 23, 2005 #1
    I seem to be having trouble with this antiderivative can i please see a solution? Y= (1/(e^x + 1))

I tried substituting e^x + 1 as u, but that left me with the quest to find an antiderivative of 1/(u^2 - u). i feel like im missing something silly here. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2005 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

You have it, keep going use partial fractions: [itex] \frac{1}{u(u-1)}= -\frac{1}{u}+\frac{1}{u-1}[/itex]

4. Dec 23, 2005 #3
    Try multiplying top and bottom by e^(-x)

5. Jan 4, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

Here it is (the integral)

For

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{e^x +1}[/tex]

put [itex]u=e^x +1\Rightarrow x=\log (u-1) \mbox{ so that }dx=\frac{du}{u-1}[/itex]

to get

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{e^x +1} = \int\frac{du}{u(u-1)} = \int\left( -\frac{1}{u}+\frac{1}{u-1}\right) du = -\log |u| + \log |u-1| + C [/tex]
    [tex]= -\log \left| e^x +1\right| + \log \left| e^x\right| + C = -\log \left| e^x +1\right| + x + C[/tex]

6. Jan 4, 2006 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

???
    Why on Earth are there still some people just post a complete solution (which is definitely, certainly, obviously, seriously, blah blah blah... against the forum's rules), without giving the OP an opportunity to solve the problem on his own??? :confused:
    Isn't your #2 post of this thread enough? Can't you wait for the OP to tell you if he can solve it or he still needs a little bit more help?
    Am I really missing something??? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?