Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrator as an average?

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    Hello all,

I'm going through Foundations of Mathematical Analysis by Johnsonbaugh and Pfaffenberger, and I read a curious line that I was hoping someone here could clear me up on (perhaps I'm thinking too much into it).

The begininning of the section on the Lebesgue integral introduces a sequence of Riemann integrable functions which converge (somehow) to a function, ƒ,which is not Riemann integrable. The authors go on to write....

"Why is ƒ not Riemann integrable? The fault lies not with the average used, namely α(x)=x, but rather with the sets averaged over, i.e., intervals."

where α(x) is the integrator. Generally, when I think of α(x), I think of it as a weighting function. So, what do the authors here mean that α(x)=x is the "average used"?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I don't have copy of that book. You should state the example.

One guess is that the quotation is an informal reference to the fact a net quantity (like total dollars) can be computed from the total number of things involved ( like total people) times the average of that quantity per thing (like "mean cost per person"). An average can be viewed as a constant "weight" that makes a product yield the desired result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook