How do I integrate a hemisphere using spherical coordinates?

• Thread starter bobie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hemisphere
In summary, the conversation is about integrating a hemisphere with a given property and radius. The speaker has learned to find an approximation using discrete summation and now wants to find the exact solution by integrating the product of y and the area of a single circle. They mention using spherical coordinates and provide a link for more information. They also mention a 16% difference and ask if it is too much.
bobie
Gold Member
Integrating a hemisphere

Homework Statement

I am self-teaching calculus.
I'd like to integrate a hemisphere G (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_cap), where the points of each circle have a given property (k=100x/(√20x)3
the radius of G r = 10, A = 628.3, h = x
the top point is A (x=0), a = √20x-x2, and the line AP joining a to a point P is √x2+20x-x2 = √20 x

I learned to find an approximation by discrete summation, finding the value of y for every slice of G of height 1, (whose area is 20 pi = 62.8) (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(sum+[+100x/sqrt(20x)^3,{x+,1,10}])+*20pi) y =352.7

Now, I'd like to find the exact solution, integrating the product of y by the area of a single circle
h , I suppose x must be = h as dx must be infinitesimal, is that right?
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+y+=+100+*x/sqrt(20*x)^3+*20pi+x+from+1+to+10) y= 304
There is a 16% difference, is it too much or everything is OK?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

1. What does it mean to integrate a hemisphere?

Integrating a hemisphere refers to the process of finding the volume, surface area, or other properties of a hemisphere by using mathematical integration. This involves breaking down the hemisphere into infinitesimal pieces and summing them up to find the total value.

2. How do you find the volume of a hemisphere using integration?

To find the volume, we use the formula V = ∫πr^2dx, where r is the radius and dx represents the infinitesimal thickness of the hemisphere. By integrating this formula, we can find the total volume of the hemisphere.

3. What is the surface area of a hemisphere and how is it calculated?

The surface area of a hemisphere is the total area of the curved surface. It can be calculated using the formula A = ∫2πrds, where r is the radius and ds is the infinitesimal length of the surface. By integrating this formula, we can find the total surface area of the hemisphere.

4. Can integration be used to find other properties of a hemisphere?

Yes, integration can be used to find various properties of a hemisphere such as the moment of inertia, center of mass, and centroid. These properties can be calculated by setting up appropriate integrals and solving them.

5. Are there any practical applications of integrating a hemisphere?

Yes, integrating a hemisphere has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It can be used to calculate the volume and surface area of domes, spherical tanks, and other structures. It is also used in solving problems related to fluid mechanics and heat transfer.