Intel Galileo Gen 2 & IOT Workshop: Electrical Eng Student Prerequisites

• Thread starter cnh1995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galileo
In summary, the electrical engineering student wants to work on Intel Galileo Gen 2 for a project and is attending a workshop on IGG2 and IOT. The main prerequisite is knowledge of C programming and a little embedded C. The workshop is a month away, and the student is seeking help to decide how to proceed. It is recommended to look into Arduino, which is a hardware/software system for IOT and can utilize C skills.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm a second year electrical engineering student and I want to work on Intel Galileo Gen 2 for a project. I'm going to attend a workshop on IGG2 and IOT. What do I need to know as prerequisite? I know C programming and a little embedded C..This whole thing is really cool but I'm afraid I couldn't grasp anything since I'm not a computer science student. The workshop is a month away..I need help to decide how to proceed..Thanks in advance..

Technology news on Phys.org
cnh1995 said:
I'm a second year electrical engineering student and I want to work on Intel Galileo Gen 2 for a project. I'm going to attend a workshop on IGG2 and IOT. What do I need to know as prerequisite? I know C programming and a little embedded C..This whole thing is really cool but I'm afraid I couldn't grasp anything since I'm not a computer science student. The workshop is a month away..I need help to decide how to proceed..Thanks in advance..

I think you're talking about this:
http://www.arduino.cc/en/ArduinoCertified/IntelGalileo
I don't know much about Arduino. But I see this on FAQ
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/FAQ

"In fact, you already are; the Arduino language is merely a set of C/C++ functions that can be called from your code. Your sketch undergoes minor changes (e.g. automatic generation of function prototypes) and then is passed directly to a C/C++ compiler (avr-g++). All standard C and C++ constructs supported by avr-g++ should work in Arduino. For more details, see the page on the Arduino build process."

So my guess, it looks like you really need to look into is Arduino, which is a hardware/software system for the IOT, but your C skills should translate just fine. You may not be working in Arduino, but if its IOT you'll be looking at something like it.

Likes cnh1995

1. What is the Intel Galileo Gen 2?

The Intel Galileo Gen 2 is a microcontroller board designed for the Internet of Things (IoT) applications. It is based on the Intel Quark SoC X1000, a low-power, 32-bit Intel Pentium-class system-on-chip, running at speeds up to 400MHz.

2. What is the purpose of the IOT workshop for electrical engineering students?

The IOT workshop is designed to introduce electrical engineering students to the basics of the Intel Galileo Gen 2 board and its applications in the field of IoT. It aims to provide hands-on experience in using the board and developing projects that utilize its capabilities.

3. What are the prerequisites for attending the IOT workshop?

The prerequisites for attending the IOT workshop include a basic understanding of electrical engineering concepts, basic programming skills in languages such as C or Python, and familiarity with the Linux operating system. It is also recommended to have prior experience with microcontroller boards.

4. What can I expect to learn from the IOT workshop?

The IOT workshop will cover topics such as setting up the Intel Galileo Gen 2 board, basic programming and interfacing with sensors and other devices, using the board for data logging and communication, and developing simple IoT projects. Participants will also gain an understanding of the potential applications of the board in various industries.

5. Do I need to bring any materials or equipment to the workshop?

No, all necessary materials and equipment will be provided during the workshop. However, if you have your own Intel Galileo Gen 2 board, you are welcome to bring it for the hands-on activities. It is also recommended to bring a laptop with the necessary software installed.