Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intel Galileo & IOT

1. Jun 6, 2015 #1

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I posted this in the 'programming and CS' section yesterday, but haven't received any reply yet. Maybe some EE people could help.I'm a second year electrical engineering student and I want to work on Intel Galileo Gen 2 for a project. I'm going to attend a workshop on IGG2 and IOT. What do I need to know as prerequisite? I know C programming and a little embedded C..This whole thing is really cool but I'm afraid I couldn't grasp anything since I'm not a computer science student. The workshop is a month away..I need help to decide how to proceed..Thanks in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2015 #2

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Do you have the agenda or link for the workshop? be easier to guess what you might want to learn. If you look at the agenda and read enough to know what each subject is really about, you will be able to steer yourself in the right direction.

Understanding the hardware is part of the program, I'm sure. Have you done any work in the Arduino, raspberry pi, or or microchip world?
    Understanding the capabilities of the hardware is part of the battle.

Try sparkfun https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13096 and of course the various intel pages.

4. Jun 6, 2015 #3
    If you really want to get a head start on this I would recommend springing $69 to purchasing one, then spend the next month playing around with it.

If you end up being the only one in the workshop that did this then you may find that you are the Guru that everyone comes to for help.

5. Jun 7, 2015 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Thanks a lot for replying..I don't have any experience with Arduino and stuff but could I study it on my own? I have C programming knowledge and and know a little embedded C. URL for the workshop details is cxc.co.in. Should I begin with the hardware?

6. Jun 7, 2015 #5

meBigGuy

Gold Member

If all you managed was to buy the board and a "shield" with LED's and switches and figured out how to make the lights blink when you pressed a switch, you would be miles ahead of the game (and fully entertained).

CLick on the resource tab at cxc.co.in and then updated instructions manual and read what they are doing. It tells you everything you need to get started. You can probably get started on that on your own through the Intel site and debian (and sparkfun)

The program looks pretty complete. You probably don't "need" to prepare, but if you do play with the system before the program, you will be able to absorb a lot more of what they are offering and the learning experience will seem far less intense.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  7. Jun 7, 2015 #6

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Thank you very much for your guidance. Fortunately, we have a couple of boards in our college lab. I'll begin very soon..Thanks a lot..!

8. Jun 9, 2015 #7
    Since it does have an Arduino IDE setup, it will be very easy to get started. IOT is the big buzzword - and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. An example project could be an automatic thermostat ( In the US there is a product called NEST - sells for a stupid amount of money $240! ) You could build one in arduino for about $100 in parts. Of course if you add the time it takes it would "cost" more - and it would not look as cool - but there are touch screen color screens for Arduino for ~$100 or less.
    Really this is about using this tool ( Galileo ) to interact with the world somehow - and then, when valuable, that interaction ( data collection and or control) can be brought to the internet. The Galileo has a lot of horsepower - and probably 3 to 4 x what is needed for an intro class- with out knowing the curriculum it is hard to say if it is overkill, but figure out the functions piece by piece.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook