Intel Galileo Gen 2 & IOT Workshop: Prerequisites for EE Students

• Thread starter cnh1995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galileo
In summary, the electrical engineering student wants to work on Intel Galileo Gen 2 for a project. He is afraid of not being able to understand the content because he is not a computer science student. He needs help deciding how to proceed and has asked for guidance.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I posted this in the 'programming and CS' section yesterday, but haven't received any reply yet. Maybe some EE people could help.I'm a second year electrical engineering student and I want to work on Intel Galileo Gen 2 for a project. I'm going to attend a workshop on IGG2 and IOT. What do I need to know as prerequisite? I know C programming and a little embedded C..This whole thing is really cool but I'm afraid I couldn't grasp anything since I'm not a computer science student. The workshop is a month away..I need help to decide how to proceed..Thanks in advance..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have the agenda or link for the workshop? be easier to guess what you might want to learn. If you look at the agenda and read enough to know what each subject is really about, you will be able to steer yourself in the right direction.

Understanding the hardware is part of the program, I'm sure. Have you done any work in the Arduino, raspberry pi, or or microchip world?
Understanding the capabilities of the hardware is part of the battle.

Try sparkfun https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13096 and of course the various intel pages.

Likes cnh1995
If you really want to get a head start on this I would recommend springing $69 to purchasing one, then spend the next month playing around with it.

If you end up being the only one in the workshop that did this then you may find that you are the Guru that everyone comes to for help.

Likes cnh1995 and meBigGuy
meBigGuy said:
Do you have the agenda or link for the workshop? be easier to guess what you might want to learn. If you look at the agenda and read enough to know what each subject is really about, you will be able to steer yourself in the right direction.

Understanding the hardware is part of the program, I'm sure. Have you done any work in the Arduino, raspberry pi, or or microchip world?
Understanding the capabilities of the hardware is part of the battle.

Try sparkfun https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13096 and of course the various intel pages.
Thanks a lot for replying..I don't have any experience with Arduino and stuff but could I study it on my own? I have C programming knowledge and and know a little embedded C. URL for the workshop details is cxc.co.in. Should I begin with the hardware?

If all you managed was to buy the board and a "shield" with LED's and switches and figured out how to make the lights blink when you pressed a switch, you would be miles ahead of the game (and fully entertained).

CLick on the resource tab at cxc.co.in and then updated instructions manual and read what they are doing. It tells you everything you need to get started. You can probably get started on that on your own through the Intel site and debian (and sparkfun)

The program looks pretty complete. You probably don't "need" to prepare, but if you do play with the system before the program, you will be able to absorb a lot more of what they are offering and the learning experience will seem far less intense.

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995
meBigGuy said:
If all you managed was to buy the board and a "shield" with LED's and switches and figured out how to make the lights blink when you pressed a switch, you would be miles ahead of the game (and fully entertained).

CLick on the resource tab at cxc.co.in and then updated instructions manual and read what they are doing. It tells you everything you need to get started. You can probably get started on that on your own through the Intel site and debian (and sparkfun)

The program looks pretty complete. You probably don't "need" to prepare, but if you do play with the system before the program, you will be able to absorb a lot more of what they are offering and the learning experience will seem far less intense.
Thank you very much for your guidance. Fortunately, we have a couple of boards in our college lab. I'll begin very soon..Thanks a lot..!

Since it does have an Arduino IDE setup, it will be very easy to get started. IOT is the big buzzword - and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. An example project could be an automatic thermostat ( In the US there is a product called NEST - sells for a stupid amount of money $240! ) You could build one in arduino for about $100 in parts. Of course if you add the time it takes it would "cost" more - and it would not look as cool - but there are touch screen color screens for Arduino for ~$100 or less.
Really this is about using this tool ( Galileo ) to interact with the world somehow - and then, when valuable, that interaction ( data collection and or control) can be brought to the internet. The Galileo has a lot of horsepower - and probably 3 to 4 x what is needed for an intro class- without knowing the curriculum it is hard to say if it is overkill, but figure out the functions piece by piece.

Likes cnh1995

1. What is Intel Galileo Gen 2?

Intel Galileo Gen 2 is a single-board computer designed for Internet of Things (IoT) projects. It is powered by an Intel Quark SoC X1000 processor and has built-in support for Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity.

2. What is the purpose of the IOT workshop?

The IOT workshop aims to provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to work with Intel Galileo Gen 2 and develop IoT projects. It covers the basics of electronic engineering and introduces students to the world of IoT.

3. What are the prerequisites for EE students to attend the workshop?

The prerequisites for EE students to attend the workshop include a basic understanding of programming concepts and knowledge of electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. It is also recommended to have some experience with Arduino or other microcontroller platforms.

4. Do I need to have prior experience with Intel Galileo Gen 2 to attend the workshop?

No, prior experience with Intel Galileo Gen 2 is not required to attend the workshop. However, having some knowledge of the platform or experience with other microcontrollers may be helpful in understanding the concepts covered in the workshop.

5. What can I expect to learn from the workshop?

The workshop will cover the basics of electronic engineering, introduction to Intel Galileo Gen 2, and how to develop IoT projects using the board. You will also learn how to use sensors, control actuators, and connect your projects to the internet. By the end of the workshop, you will have the skills and knowledge to create your own IoT projects using Intel Galileo Gen 2.