Intel or AMD gaming build?

1. I'm looking at building a computer that is capable of gaming and intensive CAD software and would like some advice.

Two CPU's I'm currently looking at (however other opinons are welcome!)

Intel: I5-2500K quad core (3.3Ghz 3.7Ghz turbo)

AMD: FX-8120 8 core (3.1Ghz)

I am looking at the Radeon HD 6950 2GB graphics card right now although other recommendations of similar price would be welcome.

12g of ddr3 ram

90g ssd boot drive

650g 7200rpm mechanical drive

I would love advice on the processor or any other input you might have.

Grant

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. I'm a big fan of the i5-2500k. I assume since it's the "k" variant, you'll be overclocking it? What motherboard(s) are you looking at? Tom's Hardware has excellent forums on which you can post theoretical systems, and some very knowledgable folks will give you an honest review of your components.

Did a 2500k gaming build with my wife earlier this year. Runs like a champ, eats up anything she throws at it.

http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/4070072

4. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Intel, AMD is losing the battle of late

5. I would like to eventually get into overclocking; however, I currently do not know a lot about it so i thought i would get a chip and board i could OC eventually.

I do not know a whole lot about mobo's but this board got great reviews. What do you think of it? MSI Z77A-G45 LGA

Is it compatible with my graphics card? (this is my first build sorry for the newbishness)

6. I've got the Intel i5-2500K in my desktop at home and the AMD FX-8150 (I assume you mean the 8120 not the 1820) in my workstation at school. For CFD and FEA work which is what I mostly use them for the 8150 just obliterates the i5 in terms of performance (and its cheaper!). Its really no contest as the 8150 even beats out the Xeon Intel workstations that we have.

However, for gaming it could be a different story. When you've got an 8-core CPU paired up with some fast 16GB of memory and CFD software which takes advantage of all of it AMD is the outright winner hands down. But for gaming, I don't know, as individual core performance tends to be more advantageous for games. But these days, your GPU has more to do with gaming performance than your CPU does so I would just go with which ever is cheaper.

7. This is only because of Intel's marketing campaign. Its doesn't really have anything to do with the companies products.

BTW, AMD still makes the best and most cost effective GPU's out there and they've been doing it for a while.

8. My bad on the typo, but yes that is what i meant. My only question is how much of my software will be able to take advantage of the 8 cores?

9. Both proc's will run any CAD software without too much issue unless you get into generating some seriously complex geometry. CAD tends to be more GPU and HDD intensive than anything else.

As for games, I don't know. Most modern games are programmed to take advantage of multiple cores but some aren't. Either way, both proc's will run any game just fine if you've got the GPU to match it. Like I said before, just go with which ever is cheaper. If I were building a new machine right now I would most certainly go with the AMD chip.

10. Thanks Topher, do you have any suggestions for good mobo's?

11. rcgldr

rcgldr 7,605
    Homework Helper

What's the price difference for 2500k versus 2600k? If it's not much, it might be worth it for a bit more speed.

12. Its about $70 on newegg

13. Not any model in particular but I've always been a fan of Gigabyte mobo's as they generally used the best components. I used to be only an Epox guy but they went out of business.

14. I'm partial to ASUS boards. This is the one I got: Asus P8Z68 V-PRO Gen 3

You want to look at the expansion slots. Looking up your mobo selection on newegg, it says:
    PCI Express 3.0 x16 - 2
    PCI Express 2.0 x16 - 1
    PCI Express x1 - 4

So yes, it will accommodate your video card selection.

15. The 2500k is virtually the same as the 2600k for gaming. Save the money and put it into a $70 better video card.

16. My last build had an ASUS on it and I was a pretty big fan.

What do you think of this one for an AMD build?
    Gigabyte

Its only $150 so I could invest in a better quality power supply or ram.

And I still don't know whether to go AMD or Intel. Will it really make much of a difference?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  17. As Vladimirr posted, go to http://www.tomshardware.com/ post your question and you'll get an answer from hard core gamers and performance nuts. You can also check the "Build Your Own" lastest articles to see what's testing tops these days.

18. As Vladimirr posted, go to http://www.tomshardware.com/ post your question and you'll get an answer from hard core gamers and performance nuts. You can also check the "Build Your Own" latest articles to see what's testing tops these days.

19. Thanks guys that site is super helpful!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?