Intel or AMD is easier to overclock and be reliable?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: Intel generally does better overclock than AMD. However, there are a few AMD processors that can do well over an Intel. Overclocking is not recommended on a notebook because they are balanced for heat rejection based on their design settings.
Saint
Can anyone give me website where it has clear instructions to play overclocking? :rofl:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Beginner guides are http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index04.asp#BEGINNER%20GUIDES [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
Answering the question, id feel much safer overclocking an AMD, damn intel!

Saint said:
Can anyone give me website where it has clear instructions to play overclocking? :rofl:
#1, if you want to really learn how to overclock, go here
In my personal experiences, Intel is safer to overclcok, due to the fact it doesn't burn up if it gets to hot.
I also have gotten my best overclcoks on Intels.
http://alexrushing.com/miscpictures/celeron2ghzat3ghz.jpg [Broken]
http://alexrushing.com/miscpictures/34GHZSANDRA.jpg [Broken]
I have done a lot more with Intel than my AMDs, which o/c fairly nice, but be warned, AMD will get hot and burn up if you are not careful..
Good Luck Saint! :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Intel may be safer, but amd is just so easy to overclock
Best and highest overclocks were done on P4s.
got to have the right motherboard tho, never get an Intel motherboard, no o/c features, get ASUS, Epox, Abit, etc, good o/c reputation mobos.

can we overclock the CPU of notebook?

Saint said:
generally no, and I would not recommend it if you could, becuase notebooks come perfectly balanced, and a slight o/c may throw it off, and overheat.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Intel may be safer, but amd is just so easy to overclock

This is not true, it is actually less safe to over an intel cpu. You can overclock an AMD more than an intel before it stuffs up. Which means an AMD is safer, as if you take them both to the maximum level of an Intel, well the intel is the least stable and more likely to overheat and die. Therefore the AMD is safer.

AMD give off a lot more heat than intel (currently), so I don't know where you get your information... Please post some references KaneOris!

Personally i do not agree with you Anttech its in my expirience that Intel give off more heat at a lower overclock. AMD will give off more heat eventually but the intels will die from less heat. BTW, where are your references?

Saint said:
The latest notebooks come with features to prevent overheating and conserve battery that actually do the oposite of overclocking. Such as reverting CPU to half speed when doing tasks that are less CPU intensive.

I wouldn't recommend overclocking a notebook, as already stated, they are balanced for heat of rejection based on their design settings and there is little leeway for change.

Anttech said:
Its common knowledge that AMD's get hotter than Intel procs...
It used to be true that AMD procs generated more heat. It isn't anymore (for the newer procs). Check out the table on http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/socket_939-01.html page. Intel's fastest (and therefore hottest) dissipates upwards of 100W, while AMD's dissipates 89W. That's one of the drawbacks of going for higher clock speed.

KaneOris said:
This is not true, it is actually less safe to over an intel cpu. You can overclock an AMD more than an intel before it stuffs up. Which means an AMD is safer, as if you take them both to the maximum level of an Intel, well the intel is the least stable and more likely to overheat and die. Therefore the AMD is safer.
Go back to overclocking school bro..
Intel by far can go higher in overclocks than AMD on comparable CPUs.
Intel will not burn up, oppose to AMD, that will or will be on the verge of burning up(a64s)..
I have been overclocking for a long time, and have done over 100 overclcoks of at least 15% and higher.
The only good overclcoking AMDs, are the Barton Mobiles(best stepping), that do upwards of 300-900MHz increases..
Intel on the other hand, the whole line of Northwoods can minimally do a 500MHz overclcok, and good stepping P4s can do up to 1.4GHz increases..

please don't come in here and tell everyone that AMD is the best overclcocker, I have 4 overclocked AMDs, and 4 overclcoked Intel, and the Intels are by far the safest and and easiest to overclock..
here is one of my better ones..
http://alexrushing.com/miscpictures/celeron2ghzat3ghz.jpg [Broken]
this celeron runs 40c full load

here is another
http://alexrushing.com/miscpictures/megaownage2.jpg [Broken]
(notice that the 3.4GHz P4 is much higher in performance rating than even AMD's best, the FX53.
this P4 runs 56c full load

here is my 2400XP, stock at 2GHz, it is 2.28GHz now..
http://alexrushing.com/miscpictures/2400XPat228.jpg [Broken]
runs 64c full load

everything is on high grade air cooling..

pentium 4's are really good for overclocking.
they are safe b/c they won't let themselves get too hot, instead they underclock themselves if they get too hot.
if you have a prescott, you can get up to 80 or 85 C before this happens
ive heard of pentium 4 2.4s being overclocked to 4ghz and up and still using a relatively normal heatsink/fan combo for cooling

wakingrufus said:
pentium 4's are really good for overclocking.
they are safe b/c they won't let themselves get too hot, instead they underclock themselves if they get too hot.
if you have a prescott, you can get up to 80 or 85 C before this happens
ive heard of pentium 4 2.4s being overclocked to 4ghz and up and still using a relatively normal heatsink/fan combo for cooling
nah, not at 4ghz, that is compressor range there for a 2.4ghz.

Heh, certainly not 4.0 ghz. You will need nitrogen cooling ( or soemthing along the same lines ) for that. I saw that on Tom's Hardware.

A 2.4 Ghz will be overcloked to about 3.2 with a good heatsink, good compound, and a relative boost in vCore.

Overclocking with nitrogen, etc.

dekoi said:
Heh, certainly not 4.0 ghz. You will need nitrogen cooling (or soemthing along the same lines) for that. I saw that on Tom's Hardware.
For a 2.4GHz rated CPU, yes, I agree you would probably need nitrogen for a 4GHz overclock, if it could be done at all. What Tom's Hardware demonstrated regarding nitrogen, however, was an overclock to 5GHz - albeit with a 3+GHz rated CPU. Tom's Hardware's earlier attempts to 4GHz, etc., were achieved with refrigerant compressors. 4GHz for 3+GHz rated CPUs is achieveable with water or compressor cooling, as evidenced by the reports of CPU reviewers on newegg.com.

you guys need to go back to overclocking school, a compressor will give you up to -52c, and nitrogen will give you -196, cost comparitivly and what can happen, the compressor is the way to go, and a 2.4 with good stepping can do 4GHz on a good compressor.
I prefer water cooling myself, and have had a 2.4GHz at 3.4GHz

AMD athlon 3800 is faster than P4 3.6GHz?

Saint said:
AMD athlon 3800 is faster than P4 3.6GHz?
no
AMD compares the 3800 to a 3.8GHz P4 tho, but in most benches the P4 would win.

1. Which processor, Intel or AMD, is easier to overclock?

Both Intel and AMD processors can be overclocked, but the ease of overclocking depends on the specific model and its capabilities. Generally, Intel processors have better overclocking potential due to their higher clock speeds and stronger single-core performance.

2. Is overclocking an Intel or AMD processor more reliable?

Overclocking can potentially decrease the lifespan of a processor, regardless of whether it is an Intel or AMD model. However, if done correctly and within safe limits, it can also improve performance without significantly affecting reliability. It is important to do thorough research and follow proper overclocking techniques to ensure reliability.

3. Are there any differences in the overclocking process between Intel and AMD processors?

The basic principles of overclocking are the same for both Intel and AMD processors. However, the specific steps and limitations may vary depending on the model and brand. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines and do thorough research before attempting to overclock a processor.

4. Which processor, Intel or AMD, is more suitable for extreme overclocking?

Intel processors are generally considered to have better overclocking potential for extreme overclocking due to their higher clock speeds and stronger single-core performance. However, some AMD processors, such as the Ryzen series, have also shown to have potential for extreme overclocking.

5. Is it safe to overclock a processor from either Intel or AMD?

Overclocking a processor can potentially decrease its lifespan and may also void the warranty. However, if done correctly and within safe limits, it can also improve performance without significantly affecting reliability. It is important to thoroughly research and follow proper techniques to ensure safety when overclocking a processor.