1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intellectual highs?

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    I'm wondering how many of you have, or are able to have intellectural/mental highs where your mind/brain feels like it's just running through the work and understanding it quicker...where you know the work a lot easier and you just have a deep feeling where you can't stop studying and reading...does anyone get what i'm saying?

I'm wondering how some of you go about to get into those 'state of mind' mode? I use to get them a lot, but i think because i've lost a bit of motivation to study, i haven't experienced one in some time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    i get sleep before I work, and work in the early morning. No TV, no fatigue, just me and the material
  4. Mar 24, 2008 #3
    i think its called being "in the zone"
  5. Mar 24, 2008 #4

Gold Member

Or "the flow".

Am, usually try and avoid fatigue, tv etc, but the thing that annoys me most is that it occurs mainly at night when it's dark or rainy and never really when its bright/sunny...[Hence I thrive in the winter, usually Jan] guess I'm just not motivated enough.
  6. Mar 24, 2008 #5
    Random insights and just plain motivation is usually what gets me into the "zone."

I mean, it's no mystery if you can't get in the zone from not wanting to work. You have to have some sort of interest to even think about what you're trying to do, whether the reason for the interest is bad or good.
  7. Mar 24, 2008 #6

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This high or zoning-in is the same thing (or similar) as what happens with productive physical exercise like jogging or weight-training, especially when you are progressing well or performing well, even if slowly.
  8. Mar 24, 2008 #7
    Yeah that's it 'in the zone'. Like someone said, when you're performing well, you just really get into it. Especially with sports...i use to run a lot and i know i'd just really get into it sometimes and not notice anything else around me.

What about sudden moments of 'realising' something where suddenly it all makes sense...like once i was out with friends at a cafe, we were laughing about something and suddenly i had this 'in the zone' type feeling where i was imagining all these different shapes relating them to maths and having a sense of complete understanding...but shortly after it 'went away' does anyone know what i'm talking about?
  9. Mar 24, 2008 #8
    Typical transitions...
  10. Mar 24, 2008 #9
    @ malty

I too am only in the "zone" at night and not during the day or in the morning.
  11. Mar 25, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

hey man, what was the question? ...... do intellectuals get high?
  12. Mar 25, 2008 #11
    Sometimes I get into the mode for a week or so, where I'm just focused on learning, and manage to sock in 16-hour days every weekday. Going in to school at 7:30-8, and leaving at 11:30-12 at night.

The strange thing about it is that when you work so hard all week, you lose all focus on the weekends, and have no interest in studying. Maybe it's a human's natural way setting aside certain time for study, certain time for rest.
  13. Mar 25, 2008 #12
    No;) not that type of high; high on study! :)

It sounds like it!
  14. Mar 25, 2008 #13
    That's called being in the zone. It happens sometimes, it's natural but don't do too much, or you'll end up with the tennis elbow of the nerd world, too much working at high speed leads to burn out.
  15. Mar 25, 2008 #14
    Good point there. Good thing for me i guess it doesn't happen as often.
  16. Mar 25, 2008 #15
    I usually get that feeling late at night. Right before I go to bed. It's annoying as hell, because I'm just most productive at night, but I have to get a full night's sleep. The Suck.
  17. Mar 25, 2008 #16
    Yeah, sometimes thinking about things Ive never been taught, and Ill suddenly connect it to something I have been taught. Thermodynamics or little maths errors people make is the typical.
  18. Mar 27, 2008 #17
    like Carl Sagan or what? ;)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?