Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intelligence and James Watson

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    I've always wondered why James Watson said what he did a while back in the article below:

I even went out to find some information on intelligence and race, reread my biology notes, and I've found nothing correlating the different races with a set-average intelligence meter. Why would an accredited scientist who won a Nobel prize say something like that? Was it that his anger for a specific person caused him to commit a fallacy known as hasty generalization? Although he apologized, I think it was more of a forceful apology and that he still believes what he stated.

Since the people here have more experience in Biology than I do currently, I wanted to discuss this as someone may point me into the right direction. It conflicts with the knowledge I've attained so far which is still fresh and the basics of biology.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2
    James Watson believes every offensive thing imaginable; this is just the one that the media decided to get riled up over.

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3
    So basically he is a glutton for notoriety or is some type of attention craving person?

I just wanted to discuss the topic as a whole though.

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4
    //:phoenix:\\ that's a very old article you presented.:frown: BBC News reported on October 18, 2007 his apology.
    and
    Often times, I've noticed the media and public at large fails to correctly interpret a scientist's remarks about scientific matters since they (public) aren't science savvy, wish to knock down the scientific community, or unable to understand the full breath of a science lecture. It happens, it's life, and scientists at large do try their best to convey an apologetic response as such was the case with Dr. Watson. And, I should mention that these articles along with yours doesn't diminish Watson's scientific contributions and achievements.

I haven't read Watson's book, Avoid Boring People: Lessons from a Life in Science. I honestly must admit I know only one boring person which I try to avoid when possible.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook