Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intelligent hangouts?

1. Mar 19, 2005 #1
    So, i've been thinking about it, and i'm getting kinda frustrated that i don't really hang out with like, "smart" people. In highschool, i was never socially awkward, i went to lots of parties had lots of friends. By senior year, i was really bored with it though. i went off to college, but still, i haven't really hung out with anyone less boring than the people i knew in highschool. I don't necessarily need genius' to talk to, or people who'll only talk about math or science, but it'd definetly be nice if i could talk to someone about an upcoming event, and then mention my homework without getting "huh?"

Basically my question is this, If i wanted to find a jock, i'd go to a sports after party, or if i wanted preps, i'd go to like a country club open house or something. I know there are a few clubs here at school... math club, physics, astronomy, but are those really the only way to meet people? Or say i meet someone, i'm not really sure what to say. I mean, normally at parties i'd talk about guitar or music or something, but i get the impression that i won't find the most intelligent people that way. I mean, i have nothing against other sorts of people, just recently, in particular, i'd really like to talk to someone in the flesh who could at least somewhat understand the math i do and things like that. Specifically, single guys, but really, just anyone would be nice.

Any Ideas??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2005 #2
    Your looking for beakers eh? It's tough to find people who enjoy talking about the same things you do. I found my crew of philosophers by walking up to random people and try to talk to them. But I have no inhibitions so some people may find that more difficult than I do.

4. Mar 19, 2005 #3
    Next semester take smaller higher level classes in the interests that you like. When the classes are smaller, it is much easier to talk to someone because you already know them through the small class atmosphere. Once you meet one person who has your interests, you usually meet a lot more shortly after.

5. Mar 19, 2005 #4
    hmm... Don't smart teenage boys just like flock together somewhere... *sigh* I guess its only my first semester of college anyways. Its just weird to go from being sooooo social, and then to talking to almost no one ever. I've been invited to parties, its just, i was thinking, maybe i'm wrong, but that i was doubting too many intelligent people hang out at parties. So i haven't gone to many yet. Hopefully things'll be better next year, but i'm hoping i don't end up with a totally uneventful summer.

6. Mar 19, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I knew a guy who met all sorts of single women at laundromats. He had quite a system and explained how it's the perfect setting to meet single women. So, I suggest that you hang out around the laundromat near the nerd dorms. :biggrin:

7. Mar 19, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't really work out the other way around. As far as I can tell, single men just don't do laundry. :rolleyes: Back when I used to use the laundromat, I was really surprised that not only was the place usually filled with only women, when a man did come in, it was most often to drop off laundry for their laundry service (you could pay by the pound to have them wash and fold your laundry for you; I couldn't imagine having strangers washing my underwear for me!)

8. Mar 19, 2005 #7
    Uhh... :uhh: I think I am an exception. I don't mind doing laundry.. and there are 7 pictures on my computer of me ironing a shirt.

9. Mar 19, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you'll have no problem finding your pick of women at the laundromat! :tongue: A guy who knows how to do laundry is considered quite attractive. :tongue2:

10. Mar 19, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

(you could pay by the pound to have them wash and fold your laundry for you; I couldn't imagine having strangers washing my underwear for me!)[/QUOTE]
    You wear underwear? :cry: Another sexual fantasy blown to hell.

11. Mar 19, 2005 #10

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go to the local coffee shop, I assume every campus has one, look at what books are open, find one that looks good and sit down and have a cup'a.

12. Mar 19, 2005 #11

ek

Perhaps you're not a genius. A genius would know the plural of genius is "genii".

:tongue:

13. Mar 19, 2005 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Hi, Gale17;
    On a more serious (uncharacteristic) note... the way that I found a surprising number of highly intelligent cohorts was in one of the most unlikely places you could imagine. I was a bartender and security for a cowboy bar for 17 years :eek: (a couple of years other places as well). Just being yourself in an environment like that slowly but surely attracts the attention of like-minded people. It's not the same as being a barfly; you're expected to initiate conversations and can't be rudely rejected for it. I realize that you're a minor, but something similar such as working in a juice bar or pool hall or diner could have the same results.

14. Mar 19, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

PS: Hanging around this looney bin is a definite step in the right direction. :biggrin: At the very least, it looks as is you're conversing with the sort of people that you want to. Who knows? It might turn out that one of them lives near you.
    And now back to the normal me... I just checked out your picture and bio again. You're a little old for me, but if chains go along with the leathers, I could make an exception. :devil:

15. Mar 19, 2005 #14
    You know... i did that... didn't work out well. So i'm probably a bit biased about meeting up with someone from the forum. Although hey, i'm not ruling anything out. Actually, i remember the reason i even came to this forum. I went to Google, and typed in something like "intelligent, witty, magical, fun conversation." and here's what i got. So i guess its worked that much.

I'll probably do like Integral suggested and hit up some coffee shops. So what if i don't like coffee or sweets... heh. Its probably better than hanging at the library, (currently my means of meeting people... funny thing though, there isn't much convo to be had there :tongue2: )

16. Mar 19, 2005 #15
    I go to book stores that have coffee shops in them..they even have events on different topics

17. Mar 19, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Coffee shops usually sell more than coffee and sweets. You can get tea or hot cocoa, and often they sell some juices too. That's something I really miss where I live now, decent coffee shops. There's one really nice one, but they close at 3, so it's just a breakfast/lunch crowd type of place, no lingering in the evening after work, and the one closer to campus that's open late allows smoking after 6 (I still think that's the weirdest thing, but I guess they found their breakfast/lunch crowd prefers nonsmoking, and the evening crowd wants to sit around smoking...the place never looks that inviting to sit and linger either, a bit dingy). Even the Starbuck's shops are in odd locations, not any place you'd want to sit and hang out with a book, more that they are just convenient for the commuters to run in and grab a coffee to go. :frown: There are some downtown, but that's just a hassle. I'd prefer something in walking distance of campus...downtown is really close yet feels pretty far the way the city is laid out.

18. Mar 19, 2005 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

With all of the people that want to meet a "significant other", why aren't there good places just for that? Don't tell me there are bars, bars are great if you're looking for a one night stand, that's about it.

I met some of the greatest, most intelligent guys I know when I used to video conference. But that was back before any idiot that could get online knew about it.

I'm still very close to two of them.

19. Mar 20, 2005 #18
    Bookstores and Trivia party games are excellent places.

20. Mar 20, 2005 #19
    I suggest starting an intriguing experiment involving chemistry or physics (something cool, like ways to cook BBQ ribs) and asking for an assistant. See who replies.

21. Mar 20, 2005 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Please, oh please tell me that wasn't a vengeful response to my pigishness toward you earlier. (Pardon my pig; he's a friend.) It would sting me bitterly, yet oddly enough not change my ways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?