Intense light igniting a mixture of fuel and air

In summary, Ethanol is a good candidate for focusing the light because it absorbs a lot in the infrared range.
tarakan

Homework Statement

We are working on a project for a class.
I was given a part of the project where focused light is used to burn off carbohydrates.

I want to know names of the following values so I can look them up and their relationships.

Energy required to start combustion at atmospheric pressure, with a specific concentration of vaporized carbohydrates dissolved in the air.

Knowing the amount of light (in Watts) coming out of the source, how much does this light need to be focused to obtain a specific temperature for combustion to occur?

I don't know how to write a formula because I have very little knowledge about combustion, mostly from a chemistry class I took 4 years ago. This is business school. I forgot everything I was taught before it.

I did take some Calculus and Physics classes before I went to business school.
I just don't know what I am looking for.

I wish I could take a different role in this project, but I am the only one who may be able to solve problems like this.

I can get away with ignoring convection, refraction index of the tube and other variables that will make the calculation very difficult.

Thank you.

physics_forums_question.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you are asking about igniting 'carbohydrates' (sugars, starches, et al.) or 'hydrocarbons' (gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel, methane, propane, etc.)? The latter are usually relatively volatile and easy to vaporize, while the former, not so much.

SteamKing said:
Are you sure you are asking about igniting 'carbohydrates' (sugars, starches, et al.) or 'hydrocarbons' (gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel, methane, propane, etc.)? The latter are usually relatively volatile and easy to vaporize, while the former, not so much.

Sorry. I am asking about hydrocarbons. Alcohol, most likely.

tarakan said:
Sorry. I am asking about hydrocarbons. Alcohol, most likely.

Not to be nitpicky, but ethanol is an alcohol, and that's neither carbohydrate nor hydrocarbon :wink:

Knowing the amount of light (in Watts) coming out of the source, how much does this light need to be focused to obtain a specific temperature

It doesn't work this way. There is no relationship between just power and temperature (lens being the least of your problems here). You need much more than that. Light has to be absorbed (and it won't get absorbed all), this will give amount of heat, and that can be in turn used to estimate by how much temperature goes up (you will need a heat capacity).

Perhaps the best approach is to put something black in the lens focus, to absorb as much heat as possible.

Ethanol absorbs quite a bit in the infrared range. Perhaps you would want to use a CO2 laser. The 9.4um band lands in a great spot on the ethanol absorption spectrum. The 10.6um band would be less useful.
The bottom chart is for ethanol:
IRspectrum_water21.gif

What is the process of intense light igniting a mixture of fuel and air?

Intense light igniting a mixture of fuel and air is a chemical reaction known as combustion. It occurs when a fuel, such as gasoline, is mixed with oxygen from the air and a source of energy, like intense light, is added to initiate the reaction.

What types of fuels can be ignited by intense light?

Intense light can ignite a wide range of fuels, including gasoline, diesel, natural gas, propane, and many others. The specific type of fuel depends on the conditions and the intensity of the light.

How does intense light affect the rate of combustion?

Intense light can significantly increase the rate of combustion by providing the necessary energy to initiate the reaction. It can also affect the temperature and pressure within the reaction, which can further impact the rate of combustion.

What are the potential hazards of intense light igniting a mixture of fuel and air?

The most significant hazard of intense light igniting a mixture of fuel and air is the potential for an explosion. This can occur if the reaction is not controlled or if there is a buildup of pressure within the reaction. It is important to handle intense light and fuel mixtures with caution and follow proper safety protocols.

How is intense light used in practical applications to ignite fuel and air mixtures?

Intense light is commonly used in practical applications to ignite fuel and air mixtures, such as in spark-ignition engines and gas stoves. It is also used in industrial processes, such as welding and cutting, where intense light is used to ignite a fuel mixture for heat and energy. Additionally, intense light is used in research and experimentation to study the effects of light on combustion and to develop more efficient and safe fuel sources.