Intensity and power question help

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power generated by a solar panel and its efficiency. The household's energy consumption is used to determine the required size of the solar panel. The error in the calculation is identified and corrected, resulting in the correct answer of 31 m2.
Zeynaz
Homework Statement
The solay Intensity in the Netherlands is 1.0e3 W/m^2 at a maximum sunshine and a perpendicular incidence.
On average, about 10% of this peak power can be utilized.
The efficiency of the solar panel is 13%.
An average household in the Netherlands consumes approximately 3.5 kWh of the electrical energy in one year.
Calculate how many m^2 solar panel is required to produce the energy of one household.
Relevant Equations
E=Pt
n= E-useful/E-in (or power)
First, I calculated the power generated by the solar panel in one day. So since the intensity is 1.0e3 watts per 1 m2.
10% of this peak power is utilized so

(1000)(0.10)=P-utilized=100W (per 1 m2)
the solar panel has the efficiency of 13% so of this power only 13% is useful.
P-useful= (100)(0.13)= 13W (or J per second per m2)
Now, since the household uses 3.5e3 kwh in one year. P-useful multiplied by 365 days gives me the Power generated in one year.
(13)(365)= 4745 W or J per second for 1 m2

So i divided the household power by the value i find so i could find how many m2 i needed.
3.5e3 kwh (or kilo Joules)
3.5e6/ 4745 = 737 m^2

However this answer is wrong. I should be getting 31 m^2. Could you help me where i went wrong? or how to find this answer?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have correctly calculated that a household needs 13 W per m2. If the house uses 3.5 kWh of energy in one year, what is its consumption of energy in one second? Hint: How many Joules in one kWh or in one 1000 (J/s)*(1 hour)?

to be able to get W from Wh (or Joules), i should divide 3500 kWh by 3600 right?
so i get 972 W or (joules per second is used by the house)
since the solar panel produces 13 W per m2 i divide the watts needed by watts produced
971w/13w = 74 m2
the correct answer is 31 m2

Zeynaz said:
to be able to get W from Wh (or Joules), i should divide 3500 kWh by 3600 right?
Not right. You can see what's going on better if you use units after your numbers. The 3600 (I assume) is seconds/hour. Now 3.5 kWh = 3500 Wh = 3500 (Joules/s)*(1 hour). If you divide that by 3600 (seconds/hour) what do you get?

On edit: The yearly energy consumption of 3.5 kWh that you posted should be 3500 kWh.

Last edited:
if i divide it like that then i would get Joules/ s^2 * 1hour^2 which not what i want.
so the h in there equals to the number of hours in 1 year? because if i multiply wh with 3600s/1h i would get joules. So to be able to get W only, i would have to divide 3500 kwh by the number of hours in 1 year??

Zeynaz said:
if i divide it like that then i would get Joules/ s^2 * 1hour^2 which not what i want.
so the h in there equals to the number of hours in 1 year? because if i multiply wh with 3600s/1h i would get joules. So to be able to get W only, i would have to divide 3500 kwh by the number of hours in 1 year??
Yes.

yes, because when i do that and divide the value i got by 13 i get 31m2. which is the correct answer. Thank you!

What is intensity and power?

Intensity and power refer to the amount of energy or force that is being exerted in a given situation or system. In scientific terms, intensity is the rate at which energy is transferred, while power is the rate at which work is done.

What is the difference between intensity and power?

Intensity and power are closely related, but there is a distinct difference between the two. Intensity is a measure of energy transfer, while power is a measure of energy output or work done. In other words, intensity is the amount of energy being put into a system, while power is the amount of energy being produced or used by that system.

How are intensity and power measured?

Intensity and power can be measured using different units depending on the context. In general, intensity is measured in watts per square meter (W/m^2) while power is measured in watts (W). However, in some cases, other units such as decibels (dB) or horsepower (hp) may be used to measure power.

What factors affect intensity and power?

Intensity and power can be affected by a variety of factors, including the amount of energy being input into a system, the efficiency of the system, and external forces or resistances. Additionally, the distance between the source of the energy and the recipient can also affect the intensity and power.

Why are intensity and power important in science?

Intensity and power are important concepts in science because they help us understand and quantify the amount of energy being transferred or used in different systems. They are particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and environmental science where energy and work are essential components of many processes.