1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity From a Point Source

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A point-like source of electromagnetic waves radiates power uniformly in all directions at a single frequency.

At a distance of 5.6 km from the source, a detector measures the intensity (energy flux density) of the wave to be 35.1 μW/m2 (microwatts per square meter).

a)Calculate the amplitude of the magnetic field oscillations of the wave at the detector.

b)What is the total power radiated by the source?

Hint: The intensity (power/area) is c ε0 E0^2/2 where E0 is the amplitude of oscillation of the electric field in the wave. Then the magnetic field is B0=E0/c.

2. Relevant equations

The relevant equations are given in the "Hint" of the problem. And I used 8.85E-12 for epsilon.

3. The attempt at a solution

I got 0.163 T for the amplitude, but it is wrong. I got 1.425E-12 W for the power, but it is also wrong. Help please.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The power is easy, what is the surface area of a sphere wih radius = 5600m,
    If the intensity is 35.1E-6w/m^2 what is the total power for this area, hint the units should come out as watts!
  4. Nov 12, 2007 #3
    Alright, I got a). I cannot figure out b) though.
  5. Nov 12, 2007 #4
    Thanks mgb. I got both parts
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?