Calculating Intensity of Sunlight Reaching Jupiter

In summary: You can use the same formula: I = power/area. You are given the intensity and the area (assuming a spherical shape around the sun), so you can solve for the power output. Just make sure to convert the units to match (kW to W).
Jtappan

Homework Statement

The intensity of sunlight that reaches the Earth's atmosphere is about 1500 W/m2. What is the intensity of the sunlight that reaches Jupiter? Jupiter is 5.4 times as far from the sun as Earth. [Hint: Treat the Sun as an isotropic source of light waves.]
____ W/m2

Homework Equations

I = power/area?

The Attempt at a Solution

How do you do this? they don't give you that much information. Are you suppose to assume Earth's area? or jupiter's area? or does the area even matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
While the intensity will change depending on the distance from the sun, the power will not due to conservation of energy.

HINT: Find the power of the light hitting everything at the distance of Earth. This is the same as the power of the light hitting everything at the distance of Jupiter.

HINT 2: The light radiates away spherically, so the light at a distance, r, from the sun, impinges on a spherical surface of radius, r. The area you will be concerned with is the area of that surface.

Last edited:
does this depend on the area of Earth and jupiter?

Jtappan said:
does this depend on the area of Earth and jupiter?

I added an extra hint above about the area. Does that help, or are you still confused about the area?

so it is the area of jupiter? and is it assumed that we know the radius of Jupiter to figure out the problem?

Jtappan said:
so it is the area of jupiter? and is it assumed that we know the radius of Jupiter to figure out the problem?

No, we are not talking about the area of either one of the planets, but rather the area of the "imaginary sphere" centered at the sun with a radius equal to the radius of orbit of the planets.

Think about it like this:

The light that is hitting the Earth is also hitting every other point that far away from the sun, i.e. every point on a sphere of radius equal to the distance from the Earth to the sun. The area you are concerned with is the surface area of this sphere. The same goes for when the light gets to Jupiter's distance.

You should be able to look up the distance from the Earth to the Sun and from Jupiter to the Sun.

Does this help?

Yea thank you so much for your help! I was doing my math wrong a few times and that's where i got confused. I was doing 2piR instead of pi R^2.

I have another quick question that you may be able to answer...

The Sun emits electromagnetic waves (including light) equally in all directions. The intensity of the waves at the Earth's upper atmosphere is 1.4 kW/m2. At what rate does the Sun emit electromagnetic waves? (In other words, what is the power output?)
____ WIs this the same type of problem??

Yes, this question follows along the same lines.

1. How do you calculate the intensity of sunlight reaching Jupiter?

To calculate the intensity of sunlight reaching Jupiter, you will need to use the formula for the inverse square law. This formula takes into account the distance between Jupiter and the Sun, as well as the radius of the Sun. You will also need to factor in the angle of incidence and the albedo of Jupiter.

2. What is the inverse square law?

The inverse square law is a mathematical principle that states that the intensity of a source of radiation is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. In other words, the farther away you are from a light source, the less intense the light will be.

3. How does the distance between Jupiter and the Sun affect the intensity of sunlight?

The distance between Jupiter and the Sun plays a major role in the intensity of sunlight reaching Jupiter. Since Jupiter is much farther away from the Sun than Earth, it receives significantly less sunlight. The intensity of sunlight decreases as the distance from the Sun increases due to the inverse square law.

4. What is the angle of incidence?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which sunlight strikes a surface. This angle can affect the intensity of sunlight reaching Jupiter because it determines how much sunlight is actually hitting the planet. If the angle of incidence is smaller, the intensity of sunlight will be greater.

5. How does the albedo of Jupiter impact the intensity of sunlight reaching the planet?

The albedo of Jupiter refers to the amount of sunlight that is reflected off of its surface. The higher the albedo, the more light is reflected and the less is absorbed. This means that a higher albedo will result in less intense sunlight reaching Jupiter, while a lower albedo will lead to more intense sunlight reaching the planet.