Intensity of isotropic sound waves

In summary, the problem is ill-posed, but assuming that the loudspeaker is at distance d from the source, the problem is to find the sound intensity at a distance of 20 from the source.
Zdub311

Homework Statement

A loudspeaker emits sound isotropically with a power of 100db. Find the intensity in w/m at a distance of 20 from the source

Homework Equations

Intensity=power/area, For sound wave... power=ro*a*2pi^2*f^2*v*A^2, and I=2pi^2*ro*f^2*v*A^2.

db=10log_10_(I/I_0_)

Also, the teacher wants us to use calculus in the answers, but in our book i found some easier equations for the question, I just don't if that's what he's looking for with how to solve it. Anyways, they are...

I=P/4pir^2,

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried solving it using each of these equations...

Physics news on Phys.org
My first answer.

To found the sound level we use β(in dB)=10*log(I/I0) formula. I0 is treshold of hearing which is 1*10-10 W/m2. We find the intesity I=10-22 W/m2. And the intesity decreases as the inverse square of the distance so the answer should be I/202 which is 2.5*10-25 w/m2. This is my first answer in this forum so if there is a mistake, forgive me :D

Last edited:
Zdub311 said:

Homework Statement

A loudspeaker emits sound isotropically with a power of 100db. Find the intensity in w/m at a distance of 20 from the source

Homework Equations

Intensity=power/area, For sound wave... power=ro*a*2pi^2*f^2*v*A^2, and I=2pi^2*ro*f^2*v*A^2.

db=10log_10_(I/I_0_)

I=P/4pir^2,

The threshold of human hearing is defined in multiple sources as 10-12 W/m2, not 10-10.

dB = 10 log[I/(10-12W/m2)],
so in your problem,
1010 = I/(10-12 W/m2, and
I = 10-2 W/m2.

I agree that the sound intensity will attenuate with the square of the distance, but the 100 dB at the loudspeaker has no meaning IMO without a specification of how far the loudspeaker surface is from the source. Furthermore, "a distance of 20" means nothing without units. And finally, it's hard to believe that you were asked to calculate intensity "in w/m". ? Maybe your instructor is a moron.

What is the definition of intensity of isotropic sound waves?

The intensity of isotropic sound waves is the amount of energy that passes through a unit area perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation in a given amount of time. It is measured in watts per square meter (W/m2).

How is the intensity of isotropic sound waves related to amplitude and frequency?

The intensity of isotropic sound waves is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave and the square of the frequency. This means that as the amplitude and frequency increase, the intensity of the sound wave also increases.

What factors affect the intensity of isotropic sound waves?

The intensity of isotropic sound waves is affected by the power of the sound source, the distance from the source, and the medium through which the sound travels. Other factors such as obstacles and absorption can also affect the intensity of sound waves.

Why is the intensity of isotropic sound waves important?

The intensity of isotropic sound waves is important because it is directly related to the loudness of the sound. Higher intensity sound waves are perceived as louder, while lower intensity sound waves are perceived as quieter. It is also important in applications such as noise control and measuring the potential harm of sounds on human hearing.

How is the intensity of isotropic sound waves measured?

The intensity of isotropic sound waves is typically measured using a sound level meter. This device measures the sound pressure levels and calculates the intensity using the known characteristics of the medium. The intensity can also be calculated using the formula I = P/A, where I is the intensity, P is the power of the sound source, and A is the area through which the sound is passing.