1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity of polarization

1. May 1, 2006 #1
    I have a quick question about polarization. When I put a polarizer up an unpolarized source, say the polarizer blocks all the polarization in th y direction and so all the photons in the x direction comes out of the polarizer. Is the intesity halved?

It seems to me that the intensity should be halved, however, as described in http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/phyopt/polcross.html#c2

why isnt the polarization of the of the three polarizers 1/6 the regular intensity instead of 1/4 as it describes in the example?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2006 #2
    Follow the “Law of Malus” at the same web site.
    After the light is polarized by filter 1 and then filter 2
    Malus says 1/2 get though – and will be aligned with #2
    Filter 3 is 45o off from #2 so again
    Malus says 1/2 get though – now aligned with #3

1/2 times 1/2 gives the 1/4 they were talking about
    BUT remember they are comparing to the light coming though filter 1
    NOT the original light.
    Compared to the original assumed un-polarized source it would be 1/8.
    Because, Yes the first filter removed 1/2 the light.

Another simple one:
    Polarized glasses set their polarization H or V to block predominate glare caused by reflected off flat surfaces like water.
    So what is the convention for defining polarization between Horizontal and Vertical?
    Are Sunglasses polarized V to allow V light though, thus blocking H glare?
    OR is glare V thus Sunglasses are polarized to H so that V is blocked?

What is the polarized direction aligned with in the EM wave, the E (Electric) or the M (Magnetic)?

A matter of convention - just what is the convention?
    Maybe someone even knows how the convention was established.
    Example: Ben Franklin or those of his time a generally credited with establishing the charge polarity convention that resulted in the electron being defined as “-" not “+”.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?