1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity of Sound Waves

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two loudspeakers A and B of equal power are separated by a distance of 1.4 m. Both the speakers emit sound waves in phase and of frequency 450 Hz. If a microphone were to be moved from A in a direction perpendicular to AB, at what distances from A will it detect a minimum of sound intensity? ( Take the velocity of sound in air to be 330 m/s )

2. Relevant equations

c=fλ,

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea where to even start. I tried using Pythagoras' theorem and could go no further.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pythagoras' theorem is certainly relevant.
    At a point distance x from A along that line, how far is it from B?
    How many wavelengths is it from each? What will the phase difference be at that point?

4. Nov 21, 2013 #3

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

Distance is sqrt(1.96)+x². How do I calculate the wavelength at each point. lambda=c/f = 330/ 450 = 0.7333 which is all I know. I also know that destructive interference occurs at lamda/2

5. Nov 21, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's not what you meant to write, I hope.
    I did not suggest calculating a wavelength at each point. There is only one wavelength, which you have calculated. I said to calculate the number of wavelengths represented by each of the two distances. But the alternative below may be simpler.
    For sources in phase, same frequency, completely destructive interference occurs when the difference in the path lengths is lambda/2. What, as a function of x, is the difference in the path lengths? How many wavelengths is that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted