How Big Must the Mirror Be to Focus a Megawatt per Square Meter on a Monkey?

In summary: I am really struggling to understanding this equation.In summary, you fashion a makeshift sherical mirror/laster beam using a roll of aluminum foil and a stick of bubblegum, and aim it at the EPM in an attempt to inflict damage. Assuming a concave spherical mirror with a focal length of 1000 meters, the mirror would need to be sized at 1000 meters squared in order to deliver the desired wattage.
stringa

Homework Statement

The EPM has finally crossed the fine line between party tricks and felonies
with the genocide of the pigmy marmoset. You are now determined to make him '
pay the price. You fashion a makeshift sherical mirror/laster beam our of a
roll of aluminum foil and a stick of bubblegum. Considering the power radiated
from the sun lands on Earth with a maximum flux of almost a kilowatt per square
meter:

How large should the surface of the mirror be, if you are to deliver over a
megawatt per square meter over a 1 square centimeter monkey-butt surface?

Homework Equations

I = P / A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this several times but I don't see the link between everything. I obviously have to use I = P / A and solve for A(mirror)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify, this is a mirror and not a lens...right?

correct...

The question as i am reading isn't very clear. You would have to have a parabolic mirror to focus the light...so it would depend...unless I am missing something

it's a spherical mirror...specifically a concave sphere...

I know i have to use intensity but i don't know how i can relate the suns intensity to that of the mirror ; and / or power

Well, it would depend on the focal length of the mirror and the distance between obects

does the problem want a numerical answer, or an equation as a function of focal length and distance?

You have as much information as I do. It is all stated above. It wants to know how much area the mirror must have. hence i find the Intensity possibly very useful, since I = P / A ... but how can P be related from the sun to the mirror

Well, a mirror of size A=1000m^2 would obviously give you that amount of energy...but I am not sure about other parameters and how they would affect...sorry

1. What is intensity with mirrors?

Intensity with mirrors is a measure of the brightness or strength of light that is reflected off a mirror. It is a comparison between the amount of light that strikes the mirror and the amount of light that is reflected.

2. How is intensity with mirrors calculated?

Intensity with mirrors is calculated by dividing the power of the reflected light by the area of the mirror. This is also known as the power density and is measured in watts per square meter (W/m2).

3. How does the angle of incidence affect intensity with mirrors?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which light strikes the mirror, can greatly affect the intensity with mirrors. The greater the angle of incidence, the more light will be reflected off the mirror and the higher the intensity will be.

4. What factors can affect the intensity of light with mirrors?

The intensity of light with mirrors can be affected by several factors including the reflectivity of the mirror's surface, the angle of incidence, and the distance between the light source and the mirror. It can also be affected by the quality and wavelength of the light itself.

5. How can intensity with mirrors be used in practical applications?

Intensity with mirrors has many practical applications, including in solar energy systems where it is used to concentrate and direct sunlight onto a small area for more efficient energy production. It is also used in laser systems to amplify and direct light beams. Additionally, intensity with mirrors is used in photography to control the amount of light that enters the camera and affects the exposure of the image.

Back