Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interaction between two excited hydrogen atoms

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    hi all.

i am trying to calculate the interaction between two excited hydrogen atoms, using degenerate perturbation theory. but comes up a few problems, any helps will be greatly appreciated.

the perturbation has the form:

H`=e3/R3(XaXb+YaYb-2ZaZb)
    where the R is the distancee between two atoms and a , b subscripts donates atom a and b respectively.

i need to calculate the matrix elements have the form:
    (<ψaψb H` ψaψb>

first thing is how to construct the total wave functions of the two atoms system? they add together or times together? and why? what is the physics meaning of:
    ψtotalaψb
    ψtotalab

the second is, if using the exzact form, and ignor the radial funtion, is it possible to evaluate the matrix element? i.e
    for one atom in its 2 0 0 state and the other in its 2 1 0 state. then wavefunctions equal to theirs spherical harrmonics which are:

2 0 0 state = 1/(2* square root pi )
    2 1 0 state = square root 3 /(2* square root pi) * cosθ

couples to one atom in 2 1 0 state and the other in 2 1 1 state

2 1 1 state = squre root (3)/2 * 1/(squre root (2* pi)) * sinθ*ei∅

the first term yields:

∫∫∫2 0 0 state * Xa * 2 1 0 state dr sinθ dθ d∅ *∫∫∫2 1 0 state * Xb * 2 1 1 state dr sinθ dθ d∅

since x= rsinθcos∅ and we have ignored the radial part, how can I evaluate dr ?
    above all, am I right for constructing the matrix element like the above way?

Apologise for such a messy question, it is my first time to put equations up here, and I havent figured out how to construct a complex equation.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted