Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Interaction term in EM Lagrangian

1. Nov 19, 2016 #1
    The (classical, relativistic) Lagrangian for electrodynamics contains the field energy density -FμνFμν/4 and the interaction term -Aμjμ. I understand the maths of that - for one thing, the equations of motion turn out right if you plug this into the Euler Lagrange equantion.
    Now I recall having learned that you can explain the forces between charged particles solely with the field energy: pushing 2 electrons together increases field energy because it goes with the square of the field strength, and pushing an electron and a positron together decreases field energy. If this is true, why do we need the interaction term at all? What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you do not have an interaction term, the charges do not generate a non-zero electromagnetic field.

Furthermore, it is worth noting that you are considering the static limit when you are doing that type of calculation.

4. Nov 19, 2016 #3
    Perfect answer, thanks! Makes me feel a bit stupid, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted