1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interaction terms

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    Hey folks,

I have a pretty interesting Lagrangian setup:

[tex]\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}(\nabla_a u_b -\nabla_b u_a)(\nabla^a u^b -\nabla^b u^a)-\lambda(u_au^a-v^2)-\frac{1}{2}(\partial\phi^2)-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2-\frac{1}{2\mu^2}u^au^b\partial_a\phi\partial_b\phi[/tex]

My term [itex]u^a[/itex] is a spacelike 5 vector that violates Lorentz Invariance in the 5th dimension only. The indices a,b run from 0 to 4.

My question:

In the paper I'm reading (http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...802.0521v1.pdf), the above lagrangian is referred to have "the lowest order coupling". I'm guessing this comes from the last interaction term between [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]. Can anyone explain why the term has to be of the form [tex]\frac{1}{2\mu^2}u^au^b\partial_a\phi\partial_b\phi[/tex]. Whats wrong with just [tex]\frac{1}{2\mu^2}u^au_a\phi^2[/tex] for example??

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2
    Hi,

can you please provide the complete link to the paper ?
    Thanks !

4. Apr 5, 2008 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?