Lost Posts? Interactive Timeouts: Causes & Solutions

• Thread starter Aether
  • Start date
In summary, I was logged out, and when I tried to save my work, I was prompted to login, but the posts weren't saved.
Aether
Gold Member
Since yesterday I have lost two posts that I was editing due to interactive timeouts. When I went to save the posts, I was prompted to login, but the posts weren't saved and when I used the back button none of the text that I had typed in was there (only the quoted material from here I have clicked on the "quote" button).

A few days ago I set my browser to block third-party cookies, does that have anything to do with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've been composing, thinking, editing, rewriting, and don't want to lose the post to the timeout, copy the entire post with Cntrl-C before hitting "submit." If you made it in time, no problem. If you find you've been logged out, you can log in, go back to the thread, get into the posting window, and hit Cntrl-V. Saves your work, you can take your time.

Bystander said:
If you've been composing, thinking, editing, rewriting, and don't want to lose the post to the timeout, copy the entire post with Cntrl-C before hitting "submit." If you made it in time, no problem. If you find you've been logged out, you can log in, go back to the thread, get into the posting window, and hit Cntrl-V. Saves your work, you can take your time.
Thanks, but what I would like to know is if there is any way to: 1) have an open editing session saved automatically on timeout; 2) extend my timeout limit; or 3) get a warning before a timeout?

Aether said:
Thanks, but what I would like to know is if there is any way to: 1) have an open editing session saved automatically on timeout; 2) extend my timeout limit; or 3) get a warning before a timeout?
Not currently. Be sure to select the "remember me" check box. It will prevent getting logged out. I was having that problem until I checked the box.

Evo said:
Not currently. Be sure to select the "remember me" check box. It will prevent getting logged out. I was having that problem until I checked the box.
Thanks, Evo.

1. What are "Lost Posts" and why do they occur?

"Lost Posts" are a common occurrence in online forums or discussion boards where a user's post appears to have disappeared or not been successfully submitted. This can happen for a variety of reasons such as internet connection issues, server errors, or user error.

2. How can I prevent "Lost Posts" from happening?

To prevent "Lost Posts", it is important to have a stable internet connection and to make sure that the server hosting the forum or discussion board is functioning properly. It is also a good practice to save your work periodically as you write to avoid losing all your progress in case of a timeout or error.

3. What are some common causes of "Lost Posts"?

The most common causes of "Lost Posts" are internet connection issues, server errors, and timeouts. These can be caused by a variety of factors such as a weak internet signal, high traffic on the server, or network congestion.

4. What should I do if my post is lost?

If your post is lost, try refreshing the page or logging out and then back in. If this does not work, check to see if your post was saved in a draft or autosave feature. If not, you may need to rewrite your post.

5. How can I fix a "Lost Post" timeout?

If you are experiencing frequent "Lost Post" timeouts, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or using a different browser. If the issue persists, contact the forum or discussion board administrator for assistance.