Interate the below fucntion from 0 to infinite please

• Thread starter Casio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary, The integral of e^(-Nx^2)cos(Mx) is equal to the real part of the complex error function multiplied by a constant. The limits must be from negative infinity to positive infinity to avoid a complex result.
Casio
e^(-Nx^2)cos(Mx) dx = ? (M,N are const)
Please help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
:biggrin: I won't change anything in the above post before reading your posts :wink:

Are you sure the limits aren't from negative infinity to positive infinity? Otherwise, you will end up with a complex error function (real part).

Tide said:
Are you sure the limits aren't from negative infinity to positive infinity? Otherwise, you will end up with a complex error function (real part).
I am sure, I check carefully, I aldready tried, its over 6 and a half pages but unable to get the valeu, you can check it yourself or you want to see my part ?

This is what I get:
[tex]Re \sqrt {\frac {\pi}{4m}} e^{i \frac {n^2}{4m}} \left( 1 + erf \left( \frac {im}{2\sqrt m} \right) \right)[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of iterating a function from 0 to infinite?

The purpose of iterating a function from 0 to infinite is to understand how the function behaves as the input value approaches infinity. It allows us to see any patterns or trends in the output values and make predictions about the function's behavior at larger and larger values.

2. How do you iterate a function from 0 to infinite?

To iterate a function from 0 to infinite, we can start with an input value of 0 and then increase the input value by a certain amount each time, such as 1 or 0.1. We can continue this process until we reach a large value, such as 100 or 1000, to see how the output values change.

3. What is the significance of starting at 0 when iterating a function?

Starting at 0 when iterating a function allows us to see the behavior of the function at the beginning of the input values. This can help us identify any special points or patterns in the function, such as a zero or a maximum value, that can give us insights into the function's behavior at larger values.

4. Can a function be iterated from a negative value to infinite?

Yes, a function can be iterated from a negative value to infinite. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of a function for negative input values as well as positive input values. However, it is important to note that some functions may behave differently for negative values compared to positive values, so it is important to consider this when interpreting the results of iteration.

5. What are the limitations of iterating a function from 0 to infinite?

The limitations of iterating a function from 0 to infinite depend on the function itself. Some functions may not have a well-defined behavior at very large input values, so iterating to infinity may not be applicable. Additionally, the precision of the input values and the computational resources available may also limit the accuracy and range of the iteration process.