Interchanging diff. and integr. rigorously

• Thread starter LouisR
  • Start date
In summary: Using the definition of a derivative, we can rewrite this as (d/dy){g(x,y)} = e^(-i*x*y)*f'(x) + (h/2!)*e^(-i*x*y)*f''(x) + ... + (h^(n-1)/n!)*e^(-i*x*y)*f^(n)(x).6. Finally, we can take the limit as h approaches 0 to get the desired result: (d/dy){g(x,y)} = e^(-i*x*y)*f'(x).2-) In this
LouisR
I have some problems with what a prof. asked us in class. This is a class of analysis that is dealing with measure theory and stuff like Fourrier transform:
I am really stuck with the following ( really have problem to explain the steps rigorously ):

(d/dy){g(x,y)} means differentiates(partially) g with respect to y
i is the usual square root of -1

1-) For this one, x is in R^n, y is in R, f(x) is a Schwarz function ( or if you prefer in the Schwarz class, so as consequence, f is integrable over R^n and it is infinitely differentiable). Could anyone gives me the rigorous steps for this please:

integral( (d/dy){e^(-i*x*y)*f(x) dx} ) = (d/dy){integral(e^(-i*x*y)*f(x) dx)}

2-)Here is a simpler case: Let [a,b] be a close interval in the real. Integration is from a to b. Suppose that f(x,y) and (d/dx){f(x,y)} are continuous on R^2. Then again what are the rigorous justifications for this:

(d/dy){integral(f(x,y)dx)} = integral((d/dy){f(x,y)dx})

A really big thanks in advance if anybody could explain me this.

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your confusion with the steps provided by your professor. Let me try to explain them to you in a more rigorous manner.

1-) In this case, we have a function g(x,y) = e^(-i*x*y)*f(x), where x is in R^n, y is in R, and f(x) is a Schwarz function. We want to find the partial derivative of g with respect to y, which is denoted by (d/dy){g(x,y)}. The rigorous steps for this are as follows:

1. First, we need to define the partial derivative (d/dy){g(x,y)}. This is defined as the limit of the difference quotient as h approaches 0, where h is the change in y. Mathematically, this can be written as (d/dy){g(x,y)} = lim(h->0) (g(x,y+h) - g(x,y))/h.

2. Next, we can substitute the given function g(x,y) = e^(-i*x*y)*f(x) into the above definition. This gives us (d/dy){g(x,y)} = lim(h->0) (e^(-i*x*(y+h))*f(x) - e^(-i*x*y)*f(x))/h.

3. Now, we can use the properties of limits to simplify this expression. Since f(x) is infinitely differentiable, we can write f(x) as a Taylor series expansion around x. This gives us f(x+h) = f(x) + hf'(x) + (h^2/2!)f''(x) + ... + (h^n/n!)f^(n)(x), where f^(n) denotes the nth derivative of f. Substituting this into our expression, we get (d/dy){g(x,y)} = lim(h->0) (e^(-i*x*y)*[f(x) + hf'(x) + (h^2/2!)f''(x) + ... + (h^n/n!)f^(n)(x)] - e^(-i*x*y)*f(x))/h.

4. Simplifying further, we get (d/dy){g(x,y)} = lim(h->0) (e^(-i*x*y)*hf'(x) + (h^2/2!)*e^(-i*x*y)*f''(x

In order to interchange differentiation and integration rigorously, we must use the fundamental theorem of calculus and the Leibniz integral rule. Let's first consider the first problem:

1-) For this one, x is in R^n, y is in R, f(x) is a Schwarz function (or if you prefer in the Schwarz class, so as consequence, f is integrable over R^n and it is infinitely differentiable). Could anyone gives me the rigorous steps for this please:

To start, let's rewrite the integral using the Leibniz integral rule:
integral( (d/dy){e^(-i*x*y)*f(x) dx} ) = integral( (d/dy){e^(-i*x*y)} * f(x) dx) + integral( e^(-i*x*y) * (d/dy){f(x)} dx)

Now, we can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the first integral on the right-hand side:
integral( (d/dy){e^(-i*x*y)} * f(x) dx) = e^(-i*x*y) * f(x) + C

Substituting this back into our original integral, we have:
integral( (d/dy){e^(-i*x*y)*f(x) dx} ) = e^(-i*x*y) * f(x) + C + integral( e^(-i*x*y) * (d/dy){f(x)} dx)

Using the Leibniz integral rule again, we can interchange the differentiation and integration:
integral( e^(-i*x*y) * (d/dy){f(x)} dx) = (d/dy){integral(e^(-i*x*y)*f(x) dx)}

Therefore, we have:
integral( (d/dy){e^(-i*x*y)*f(x) dx} ) = e^(-i*x*y) * f(x) + C + (d/dy){integral(e^(-i*x*y)*f(x) dx)}

Now, since we are dealing with a Schwarz function, we know that it is integrable over R^n and infinitely differentiable. This means that the constant C is equal to 0, and we can rewrite our integral as:
integral( (d/dy){e^(-i*x*y)*f(x) dx} ) = e^(-i*x*y) *

1. What is "interchanging differentiation and integration rigorously"?

"Interchanging differentiation and integration rigorously" refers to the process of swapping the order of differentiation and integration in a mathematical expression, while ensuring that the result remains valid and accurate.

2. Why is it important to interchange diff. and integr. rigorously?

It is important to interchange differentiation and integration rigorously because it allows us to manipulate and solve complex mathematical expressions more easily. It also ensures that our calculations are accurate and valid.

3. What are the key principles for interchanging diff. and integr. rigorously?

The key principles for interchanging differentiation and integration rigorously include understanding the properties of differentiation and integration, being familiar with the rules for swapping the order of operations, and paying attention to any restrictions or conditions that may apply.

4. What are some common mistakes when interchanging diff. and integr. rigorously?

Some common mistakes when interchanging differentiation and integration rigorously include forgetting to account for restrictions or conditions, misapplying the rules for swapping the order of operations, and ignoring the properties of differentiation and integration.

5. How can one practice and improve their skills in interchanging diff. and integr. rigorously?

One can practice and improve their skills in interchanging differentiation and integration rigorously by working through a variety of practice problems, seeking help from a tutor or mentor, and reviewing basic principles and rules regularly. It is also helpful to try solving problems using different techniques and methods to gain a better understanding of the concepts.