1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interest a(t) = a(0)(1 + rt)

1. Jun 17, 2004 #1
    In Mathworld, they define Simple Interest as:

a(t) = a(0)(1 + rt)

where a(t) is the sum of principal and interest at time t for a constant interest rate r.

I just want to know why that 0 is in there. Anything divided by 0 will be 0, thus a(t) = 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2004 #2
    I would imagine that a(0) is the principle as it is the sum of the principle and the interest at t=0. Since there is no interest at t=0 the sum of the principle and the interest would be the principle.

4. Jun 17, 2004 #3
    Anything divided by 0 is undefined...

They're saying a(t) is a function and a(0) is that function evaluated at t=0.

It would be more clearly written a[t] = (1 + rt)*a[t=0]

cookiemonster

5. Jun 17, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, the "a(0)" is not "a times 0", it is "the function a(t) evaluated at t= 0".

6. Jun 17, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

And in still more words (well, actually less words), "a(0)" is the principal.

Ironic - I was just looking for this formula so I could buy a car...

edit: oops - they don't use that formula.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  7. Jun 17, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Russ,

If you're talking about the depreciation curve, I think that's exponential, not linear.

Edit : No, you're calculating payments, aren't you. I think that's compounded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?